Wildfires, again, in my home state of California. People are looking for maps of where they are at, so here are some resources:
NOTE: For the latest fires, see this fire maps section of Search Engine Land, where any updates are listed.
- California Fires 2008 is an excellent map pinpointing fires across the state. Just excellent work. It’s embedded over at KSBW so that you get a key for the color of each “thumbtack” marking a fire (blue is smaller; red is largest). See also the wildfires section that has a list of more detailed maps for particular fires.
- Significant California Fires – June 2008 is maintained by California’s Office Of Emergency Services, which also has it embedded with perspective here.
- GeoMAC has a variety of maps you can view in Google Earth.
- The Ukiah Daily Journal has a special map for the Mendocino area.
- California Active Fire Mapper pinpoints blazes across the Western US, and you can zoom to particular cities.
- Modus has large fires across the US pinpointed — you can really see the cluster in Northern California here.
Postscript: See Los Angeles & Southern California Fire Maps: October 2008 Edition for fires in Southern California during mid-October 2008.