What Is SEM, PPC & Paid Search Marketing?
What Is SEM & PPC?
Related SEM Synonyms & Acronyms
“Search Engine Marketing” was once was used as an umbrella term to encompass both SEO (search engine optimization) and paid search activities. Over time, the industry has adopted the SEM acronym to refer solely to paid search.
At Search Engine Land, we generally use SEM, PPC and/or “Paid Search” to refer to paid listings, with the longer term of search marketing used to encompass both SEO and SEM. Below are some of the most common terms also used to refer to SEM activities:
- Paid search ads
- Paid search advertising
- PPC (pay-per-click)*
- PPC (pay-per-call) – some ads, particularly those served to mobile search users, may be charged by the number of clicks that resulted in a direct call from a smartphone.
- CPC (cost-per-click) *
- CPM (cost-per-thousand impressions) *
- Most search ads are sold on a CPC / PPC basis, but some advertising options may also be sold on a CPM basis.
SEM / PPC For Beginners
Google Ads is by many measures the most popular paid search platform used by search marketers, followed by Microsoft Advertising, which also serves a significant portion of ads on Yahoo.
Beyond that, there are a number of “2nd tier PPC platforms” as well as PPC advertising options on the major social networks.
In addition to covering general paid search trends, you can find the most recent news about SEM and helpful tips to get started with PPC ads on the major search marketing platforms below:
Each platform offers its own getting started guides and helpful tutorials. Another beginner resource is Search Engine Land’s Periodic Tables of PPC, a comprehensive and free resource to get you started.
Pay Per Click Advertising Tips & Tactics
On Search Engine Land, we provide paid search advertising information and news in a variety of ways:
- All PPC News & Articles includes verified product features and announcements from the major search advertising platforms covered by our editorial staff, plus expert analysis and real-world advice from our contributor network.
- How To: Paid Search is our section that is devoted to practical tips and tactics about paid search ads.
Search Ads Archives: This area of Search Engine Land provides a collection of all stories we’ve written on the topic of paid search. There, you’ll find additional sub-categories for special topics in paid search marketing including:
- Search Ads: Behavioral Targeting
- Search Ads: Contextual
- Search Ads: Domaining
- Search Ads: General
- Search Ads: Mobile Search
- Search Ads: Pay Per Call
- Search Ads: Video
More Search Marketing Resources
- Search Marketing (SEO & PPC)
- Search Retargeting & Site Remarketing
- Display Advertising
- Mobile Marketing
- Paid Social Advertising
At Digital Marketing Depot, the research arm of our parent company, there is an archive of PPC / Paid Search presentations available webcasts on-demand, to anyone, for free.
You can also learn beginner to advanced PPC techniques at our paid search marketing workshops and general sessions at our conference series, Search Marketing Expo.
Get Daily Search News & Advice Delivered To Your Inbox
Sign up for our daily search newsletter to get the latest search marketing news from the search experts at Search Engine Land, Marketing Land, and other trusted sources all over the web.