Sign up for our daily recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
Google Voice Number Porting Now Available
It probably will also count as a termination of your wireless account, triggering early termination fees if applicable. To make it work with your existing carrier you need to get another number and then put that in as one of the devices to ring from your Google Voice number.
There’s no mention of porting landlines but that will be in high demand I suspect when/if it becomes available.
To initiate number porting you go into Google Voice settings and click “Change/Port.” It’s live now, these screens are from my account:
The accompanying promotional video explains the process further:
Also see My Life With Google Voice Number Porting, Six Months In, where Search Engine Land editor in chief Danny Sullivan takes a closer look at how porting has worked for him, as he’s tested it over the past few months.
- Google Voice Tests Number Porting: Turning Point For The Service?
- Inside The Google Voice Phone Booths
- Google Voice iPhone App Finally Available
- Google Voice + Gmail = Free Voice Calls For Those In US
- My Life With Google Voice Number Porting, Six Months In