Maps Of Fires In Southern California: November 2008 Edition
Fires are burning in Southern California once again. Here’s an update on how to find maps of where the blazes are:
NOTE: For the latest fires, see this fire maps section of Search Engine Land, where any updates are listed.
- Los Angeles Times: Watch the newspaper’s Google Maps account here for the latest maps. Most recent ones are Brea fire, Sylmar / Sayre fire map and Map of the fires in Santa Barbara County. See also this road closures list.
- Orange County Register: Watch this newspaper’s Google Maps account here. This map covers the Green River / Yorba Linda / Corona fire.
- Los Angeles Fire Department: From its Google Maps account here, see the SAYRE FIRE EVAC ZONE map.
- Santa Barbara / Montecito “Tea Fire” is a nice collaborative effort covering the fire in that area. Sylmar Fire is from a local resident.
- CBS 2: See their collection here, watch their Google Maps account here for more. Also see these nice individual maps: Los Angeles Area Fire Information From KCBS2/KCAL9 News, Corona, Yorba Linda Brush Fires and Montecito Fire.
- Enplan Wildfire Viewer: Lets you see across California where major fires have been spotted by satellite. For more about the viewer, see O.C. wildfires now easy to track online from the Orange County Register.
- California Active Fire Mapper: From UC Berkeley, this pinpoints fires over the past week across the state.
- MODIS: Map has large fires across the US shown.
- California Department Of Forestry & Fire Protection: Maintains a Google Maps account here that pinpoints some blazes.
- GeoMAC Wildfire Information: View current fires and perimeters across the US, plus see historic information.
- Wildfire From Fetch: Pinpoints fires, and if you click on an incident, you get an update on percentage contained and other information.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.