Google’s Matt Cutts, the head of search spam, released a video today providing an SEO tip on meta descriptions. Matt said, do not have duplicate meta descriptions on your site.
Matt said it is better to have unique meta descriptions and even no meta descriptions at all, then to show duplicate meta descriptions across pages.
In fact, Matt said for his own blog, he doesn’t bother to make meta descriptions for his own site.
In short, it is better to let Google auto-create snippets for your pages versus having duplicate meta descriptions.
- Google’s Matt Cutts: Don’t Worry About An SEO Down Side To Responsive Design, There Is None
- Google’s Matt Cutts: When Commenting On Blog Posts, Try To Use Your Real Name
- Google’s Matt Cutts On What To Do If Your Site Was Hit By Panda
- Google’s Matt Cutts: No More PageRank Updates This Year
- Google’s Matt Cutts: No Reason To Fret Over “strong” & “b” Tags
- Google’s Matt Cutts: Nofollow Links Won’t Hurt You Unless You Are Spamming At A Huge Scale
- Google’s Matt Cutts: Guest Blogging Best Done In Moderation