Sign up for our daily recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
Google Earth Builder: Enteprise Data In The Cloud (And On The Map)
At the Where 2.0 conference today Google announced “Google Earth Builder,” which is a cloud-based solution for enterprises that want to render their data on maps. The idea is that enterprises of all stripes can upload and store all types of geospatial data on Google’s servers.
Proprietary enterprise data is rendered and published on Google Maps/Google Earth. Customers or employees can then view that data in either from any device that can render those applications. Users will also have access to all the Google data within Maps/Earth as well as their own.
Here’s Google’s pitch about the benefits:
- Anytime, Anywhere Access: view your maps from any computer or Internet-enabled device
- Speed & Scale: process your complex geospatial data quickly and efficiently; effortlessly scale to manage traffic spikes (for example, in cases of emergency)
- Lower Cost: significantly reduce IT costs and eliminate time spent buying, maintaining and patching software and servers
- Constant Innovation: just refresh the browser for the latest features
- Secure Storage & Recovery: no longer worry about storage limits and backups; data is backed up to multiple data centers for near-instant recovery
The product will become available in Q3 of this year but Google wants to line up partners now. The company did not discuss pricing but said it would be “competitive.”