Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.
Google Showing Fewer Than 10 Results For Some Searches?
It appears Google is testing showing fewer than the typical 10 web search results, in what might either be a test or possibly a bug.
As you can see from the screen shot above, Google is only listing one web search result, followed by a video result and then a news result – and they are all from BBC.co.uk.
We’d previously pointed out a reply in the thread that appeared to have been from Google’s Matt Cutts saying that this was a new feature, but on a second look, this is almost certainly someone faking responses from Cutts. We’re checking with Google about that, and whether this is a test.
In the example above, for “bbc cricket,” only five web search results are shown, followed by a video result. But we haven’t been able to replicate this for other sites (such as itv football), so it might be a bug related just to the BBC site.
Microsoft Bing has done this with their form of Best Match when they first relaunched as Bing.
- Google Adds More Answers & Info To Search Results
- Google Answers Your Health Questions With Health OneBox
- Google Goes Beyond Answers, Starts Guessing Release Dates
- Google: No Longer Guessing About Celebrity Sexual Orientation
- Meet The Google OneBox, Plus Box, Direct Answers & The 10-Pack
- Google Provides Answers Your Local Search Questions
- Google Buys Metaweb To Bolster Answers, Google Squared & Rich Snippets