Hook Linkbait With The Right Headlines
Andy Hagan has published an in-depth look at his link baiting methods. In his analysis, he finds that the “single most important aspect of a link bait piece is its title.” I have been hearing this for years, you can have excellent content but if your title isn’t link bait worthy then it won’t make it to the front page of Digg.
Andy borrows Copyblogger’s 10 Sure-Fire Headline Formulas That Work to list the “title cheat sheet.”
- Who Else Wants [blank]?
- The Secret of [blank]
- Here is a Method That is Helping [blank] to [blank]
- Little Known Ways to [blank]
- Get Rid of [problem] Once and For All
- Here’s a Quick Way to [solve a problem]
- Now You Can Have [something desirable] [great circumstance]
- [Do something] like [world-class example]
- Have a [or] Build a [blank] You Can Be Proud Of
- What Everybody Ought to Know About [blank]
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Everything you need to know about SEO, delivered every Thursday.