Sign up for our daily recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
Report: Google’s Not Provided Reached 49% & Much Higher In Technology Industry
BrightEdge has released a report showing that for the 8,400 brands they tracked over the last quarter, 49% of the queries collected did not provide (i.e. not provided) search query data due to Google’s secure search.
49% was the average, in fact, it is higher for the technology industry. BrightEdge said that “56% of traffic to computer, electronics, software and technology sites is coming from Google secure search.” On the low end, such as in the entertainment and consumer services sites, the percentage of secure searches is 46%.
Guess what, it is even worse for search sites. For my search blog, I noticed that the not provided percentage was over 70%.
To have half or more of all your query data wiped out is a devastating reality for web marketers.
For more on not provided, see our stories below:
- Will [Not Provided] Ever Reach 100% In Web Analytics?
- How “Not Provided” May Make BuzzFeed Think Google’s Search Traffic To News Sites Is Down
- Happy Birthday “Not Provided” – One Year Since Google Began Withholding Search Terms
- Google’s (Not Provided) Impacting More Than Just SEO Sites
- Study: 39% Of Google Search Referrers Now “Not Provided”
- How To Turn (Not Provided) Into Useful, Actionable Data
- Keyword “Not Provided” By Google Spikes, Now 7-14% In Cases