Sign up for weekly recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
Google To Offer Content Delivery Service For Page Speed
Essentially, this service will be Google fetching the content on your web site and then serving it up with speed improvements of 25% to 60% to the rest of the world, including Google’s bots.
Google will eventually charge for the service but has not yet said how the pricing structure will look. The service includes:
- An online service that automatically speeds up loading of your web pages.
- Switch your domain name to point to Google’s DNS.
- Page Speed Service fetches content from your servers
- It rewrites your pages by applying web performance best practices
- It then serves them to end users via Google’s servers across the globe.
- The service will do the concatenating CSS, compressing images, caching, gzipping resources or other web performance best practices.
To sign up, use this web form. Note, Google will likely eventually charge you for this service and they are not disclosing how much it will cost at this point in time.
I find it interesting that Google is getting into the content delivery game, I know they are obsessed with speed and it will help the web get faster but it just seems strange to me.
- It’s Official: Google Now Counts Site Speed As A Ranking Factor
- Site Speed, Google’s Next Ranking Factor
- Google’s Push To Speed Up Your Web Site
- Google Launches Page Speed Analyzer In Labs
- Google Releases Page Speed Report In Webmaster Tools
- Google Launches Server Tool To Speed Up The Web