Google’s Holiday Gift To Webmasters: No Panda Updates Till Next Year
Yesterday, I made an assumption that Google would put all Panda updates on hold until after the holiday season.
Google tweeted yesterday afternoon that there would be “no major Panda updates until the new year.”
The last Panda update we had was labeled a “minor” update on November 18th and since then, it has been pretty quite on the Panda update side of things.
Google typically does not do major algorithm updates during the holiday season in order to not impact online retailers that much during their most critical business sales time of the year. This all stems from the historic Florida update that put many online retailers out of business right before the biggest holiday retail season.
Here is Google’s tweet:
Search weather report: no major Panda updates until the new year. Context: goo.gl/XqLuN
— A Googler (@google) December 14, 2011
Previous Panda Updates
Here’s the Panda update schedule so far, as we’ve tracked and had confirmed by Google:
- Panda Update 1.0: Feb. 24, 2011
- Panda Update 2.0: April 11, 2011 (about 7 week gap)
- Panda Update 2.1: May 10, 2011 (about 4 week gap)
- Panda Update 2.2: June 16, 2011 (about 5 week gap)
- Panda Update 2.3: July 23, 2011 (about 5 week gap)
- Panda Update 2.4: August 12, 2011 (about 3 week gap)
- Panda Update 2.5: September 28, 2011 (about 7 week gap)
- Panda Update 3.1?: November 18, 2011 (about 7 week gap)
Since then we have not been tracking the Panda fluxes that closely.
- Taking a Closer Look at the Google’s Panda 2.5 “Flux”
- They’re Back! Google Issues Weather Report For Panda Update
- Google Panda 2.5: Losers Include Today Show, The Next Web; Winners Include YouTube, Fox News
- Confirmed: Google Panda 2.5 Update Arrived This Week
- Google Panda Update 2.4: Panda Goes International, In Most Languages
- Official: Google Panda 2.3 Update Is Live
- Can You Dig Out Of Your Google Panda Hole By Offloading To Subdomains?
- Why Google Panda Is More A Ranking Factor Than Algorithm Update
(stock image via Shutterstock. Used with permission.)
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Everything you need to know about SEO, delivered every Thursday.