Sign up for weekly recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, April 12, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- TweetUp Brings AdWords Concept To Twitter
Bill Gross, who all but created paid search in the late 1990s when he founded GoTo.com, has launched TweetUp, an advertising ecosystem that does for Twitter search what AdWords (and other paid search platforms) does for web search. It’s not officially tied to Twitter, and will compete with Twitter’s expected ad platform (whenever it launches).
- Do You Know The True Value Of Your Paid Search Traffic?
In paid search the more accurately we can gauge and react to the “true value” of the traffic for each ad the better the performance of the program.
- Steve Jobs: ‘Search Hasn’t Happened On Mobile Devices’
In his iPhone OS 4 preview keynote last Thursday Apple CEO Steve Jobs made the following provocative (some would argue inflammatory) statement about search on mobile phones:
On the desktop search is where it’s at; that’s where the money is. But on a mobile device search hasn’t happened. Search is not where it’s at, people are […]
- Plink: Google Buys Another Mobile Startup
No FTC review here: Google has acquired Plink a UK-based startup that offers specialized visual search (or augmented reality [sort of]) for art. You take a picture of an artwork or object d’art and information appears about the artist and/or the piece.
As the site makes clear, PlinkArt was simply the first in an intended build-out […]
- Google’s Real Time Search Results Gets “Top Links” Section
Steve Rubel noticed Google has updated the real time search results page to include “top links” at the top right of the page. The top links appear to be the most authoritative and popular stories on the search query.
For example, here is a picture of the real time Google results for [plane crash]:
As you […]
- Apple iPhone 4.0 Drops “Google” Search Button
On Thursday, Apple announced the new software update for the iPhone, iPhone 4.0 OS. Apple junkies, including myself, have been digging into the new OS and SDK (software development kit) and one of us found that Apple removed the “Google” search button and renamed it “Search.”
Some take this move as a bigger […]
- SMX Advanced Seattle Rate Increases April 25
If you’re planning on attending SMX Advanced Seattle, you should be registering now. Here a two reasons why:
1) The Early Bird rate for SMX Advanced Seattle ends Saturday, April 24th. You save $200 on your All Access ticket!
2) Tickets for SMX Advanced are selling faster than ever. More than 2/3 have already been sold. When they’re gone…they’re […]
- Why Your Phone Number Is A Crucial Search Marketing Component
Sure, keywords and content are crucial parts of any local search marketing campaign. But your humble phone number may actually be one of the most important factors that leads to local search success.
- Paid Search & Social Media: Can They Be Friends?
As a large-scale paid search marketer, you may believe social media marketing has little to do with your craft. After all, most marketers hold true to the notion that paid search is extremely measurable, focused on bottom-line ROI and grounded in analytics, whereas social media, including Facebook, Twitter, blogs, and viral video, is experimental, difficult […]
- Golden Nuggets From SMX Toronto
So, another SMX is in the books! After uncovering so many great nuggets from last year’s SMX Analytics here in Toronto, I was looking forward to this year’s content. The good news is that there were two tracks, PPC and SEO, so the chance to catch good content was very high.
The keynote was delivered by […]
- The Mobile Web Is Finally Here: Are You Ready?
Is your website ready for mobile? If not, search should play a critical role in developing your mobile web strategy.
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Keep the conversation going with comments on Updates, www.ymailblog.com
- Google Puts Weight Behind Theora on Mobile, osnews.com
- A new Google Docs, Official Google Docs Blog
- Google Preparing iPad Rival – Google tablet, Gizmodo
- NYT: Google Android Tablet Imminent, Wired
- Google accused of YouTube ‘free ride’, FT.com
- Microsoft says committed to China despite Google pull-back, Reuters
- US Internet Population Diversifies, eMarketer
- O’Brien: Google’s commitment to the Open Web, Mercury News
- @ ASNE: Google’s Schmidt: ‘We Have A Business Model Problem, Not A News Problem’, paidContent.org
- Google CEO says Apple helped AdMob deal, Reuters
- Google CEO: ‘Journalism will triumph’, POLITICO.com
- Google Successfully Transfers Another AdWords Case to California–Parts Geek v. US Auto Parts, Eric Goldman
- Google’s Top Innovators On The Cloud, Net Neutrality, And More, TechCrunch
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Google Maps Embed Bug Causes Issues With Zooming, Search Engine Roundtable
- Paid Content: the New Paid Link, SEO Book
- Beginner’s Guide to Link Metrics, Search Engine Journal
- Negotiating Partnerships For Scale-able Linkbuilding, SEOmoz
- The 5 Best Backlink Analysis Tools, davidnaylor.co.uk
- When Promoting Link Bait, Twitter is King!, Search Engine Journal
Paid Search & Contextual
- Information about AdSense ads and site speed, Inside AdSense
- Bug: Google AdSense for Search Code Error, Search Engine Roundtable
- New frontiers in display advertising planning and measurement, Official Google Blog
- Facebook Search: Already Bigger Than Ask, AOL, gigaom.com
- Top In-House SEOs – Where Are They Now?, Natural Search Blog
- Google Buying Ads Against My Name?, Screenwerk
- Google Offers Prizes To Encourage AdWords Forum Participation, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- Google incorporating site speed in search rankings, Matt Cutts
- Grabbing Your Traffic by the Long Tail and Other Reasons to Take a Deeper Look at Your Analytics, SEOmoz
- 5 Quick SEO Tricks For AFTER A Post Goes Hot, outspokenmedia.com
- Blog Optimization, Post Title SEO & Deadeye Targeting, AIM Clear Blog
- Is there a way to mark a section of a page as being less important for snippets?, YouTube
- Multilingual SEO: Things to Remember, Search Engine Journal
- Google To Patent Online Promotions Via Status Messages, gorumors.com
- Twitter for iPhone, Twitter Blog
- Twitter Slaps Developers in the Face and How They Can Fix It, Dare Obasanjo
- The Yahoo! Firehose: Get access to our public Updates activity stream, Yahoo! Developer Network Blog
- How To Measure The Quality Of An Online Form, Google Analytics Blog
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- It’s Official: Google Now Counts Site Speed As A Ranking Factor
- Link Building for Image Rich Websites