Sign up for our daily recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
Was That A Google Update Or Wasn’t It?
Over the past week or so, I’ve been hearing reports via the forums that Google’s search results have been in a state of flux. Typically when I see such a level of discussion about fluctuations in Google, I expect Google to announce a algorithm update.
This morning I saw a spike in that communication and chatter in the forums and I am fairly confident Google is testing and about to release a significant update.
I emailed Google for confirmation or more information and Google has not responded. Google normally responds to us within 24-hours with a confirmation or denial of an update. The lack of communication makes me suspect Google is testing something and is not ready to comment.
The last time we had a Penguin update was on May 26th, Penguin 1.1, over three months ago. We know the next Penguin update might feeling jolting and we have to expect Google has been working up something pretty significant on the Penguin side – since it has been over three months.
Again, Google has not confirmed any of this. It might be pure speculation or normal Google ranking shifts but typically, based on the level of webmaster chatter I see, it does look like a Google update is being tested and possibly rolled out.
Postscript: A Google spokesperson responded but did not confirm or deny the update. So there is not much new I can add to this post after speaking with Google.
- Google Forecloses On Content Farms With “Panda” Algorithm Update
- Infographic: The Google Panda Update, One Year Later
- Google Pushing Out Panda Update 3.9 Tonight
- Google Releases Penguin Update 1.1
- Google Launches “Penguin Update” Targeting Webspam In Search Results
- Two Weeks In, Google Talks Penguin Update, Ways To Recover & Negative SEO
- The Emanuel Update: Google Will Penalize Sites Repeatedly Accused Of Copyright Infringement
- Google’s June-July Updates: Site Clustering, Sitelinks Changes & Focus On Page Quality
- Google Explains New Link Warnings, Says Don’t Panic But Don’t Ignore
- Penguin’s Reminder: Google Doesn’t Owe You A Living, So Don’t Depend On It
- Links: The Broken “Ballot Box” Used By Google & Bing