Sign up for our daily recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
Infographic: 2013 SEO Ranking Factors, From SearchMetrics
The folks at SearchMetrics have released their SEO ranking factors for 2013. This is their ranking correlation study they worked on for the past 3-months, right after the second-generation Penguin update was pushed out by Google. Want to understand everything that was in it? They’ve got an infographic for that (click to enlarge):
The key takeaways from their study included:
- Keyword domains and keyword links have lost relevance
- Brands are the exception to many rules
- Social signals continue to correlate very well with better rankings
- Good content is always important: it comes down to quality
- The number of backlinks remains immensely important
- On-page technology remains one of the basics
There’s been some criticism around this study on social networks, but like with any ranking correlation study, there are always critiques, and there should be. You can download the study over here.
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.