• P.B.

    Great. Another point of frustration for the poor folks using MS products. I don’t have an Xbox and this marriage of mediocrity certainly won’t compell me to buy one now either. Every few months I give Bing a try to see how much of the advertising is true. The only thing that amazes me about Bing is how useless most of the results are to my search criteria. I am in the market for a new game system, but if this is what I have to deal with on an XBOX, I have no interest. Looks like PS3 will likely be my choice.

  • http://www.gamerstube.com Joe Youngblood

    does anyone else remember webTV? It looks like MS found a way into living rooms without forcing consumers to buy new hardware, using an oversized remote, and being forced to us an OS that was designed for cell phones on a 50″ TV screen.

  • http://www.onwardsearch.com Jeremias Stelter

    Oh Great, not! What?! No one else wanted bing so force the gamers to use it? No thanks.

  • http://www.aguyinhisbasement.com Dan J.

    Err…. no thanks. However, in response to P.B…. if a console’s search capabilities are your primary concern, then perhaps gaming isn’t for you. I use my xbox for gaming 99.9% of the time, and the other 0.1% is when I click on something else by accident.

  • Jeremy Labadie

    I think this article misses the mark. Bing is not the “focus” or the “hub” for the new UI. It is a new “feature”, and a debatable one at that since most people don’t really care about bing. It is like swiping left on your iPhone and using the search. If your the type of person that uses that search then you might find this useful. If not, then there is a good chance that you will never even know it is there.

  • Jeremy Labadie

    I should clarify my post. The bing screen is the furthest left option (like search on iPhone). If you want it, you can scroll left to it. If you don’t like it, then don’t scroll left and you will never see it. That is why I think calling it the “hub” or “focus” of the new UI is a bit off the mark, that’s all, since you have to go to it on purpose in order to use it, as opposed to it being thrown in your face on every screen.

  • Matt McGee

    Thx for the comments, Jeremy. My use of the word “focus” is related to the fact that it’s the big part of their marketing — they’re focusing on the poor search experience that set-top boxes offer and positioning Bing/voice search as the differentiator on Xbox.

  • Jeremy Labadie

    Thanks for the clarification Matt, I wasn’t trying to slam your article, rather just point out to the folks that are criticizing it that the bing integration really isn’t that big of a deal.

  • P.E.

    I never use bing Xbox services but after reading your posting and kowning about its sound searching facilities………….I am going to experience it.