Google Slows Web Crawlers To Help Blackouts Sites
As you know, there are many sites going black to protest SOPA and PIPA. Google has already offered blackout SEO advice but they decided to take it one step further by slowing down their spiders today.
Pierre Far from Google posted on his Google+ that Google is slowing down GoogleBot’s crawl activity to reduce the effect on their site’s search rankings, if they did not follow the Google SEO advice from yesterday.
Pierre Far said:
Hello webmasters! We realize many webmasters are concerned about the medium-term effects of today’s blackout. As a precaution, the crawl team at Google has configured Googlebot to crawl at a much lower rate for today only so that the Google results of websites participating in the blackout are less likely to be affected.
- What All Marketers Need To Know About SOPA – The Stop Online Piracy Act
- #BlackoutSOPA: A Look At The Social Media Movement That Helped Stall The SOPA Legislation
- How To Blackout Your Site (For SOPA/PIPA) Without Hurting SEO
- Google Blackens Its Logo To Protest SOPA/PIPA, While Bing & Yahoo Carry On As Usual
- Why The Web Is Going Dark Over SOPA & PIPA
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Everything you need to know about SEO, delivered every Thursday.