Sign up for our daily recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
Search Engines Release Most Popular Search Trends of 2008
As 2008 comes to a close, the annual tradition of gathering up the most popular search trends continues. Breaking down billions of search queries into concise Top 10 lists isn’t an easy task but among the major search engines. Still, obvious trends emerge nearly every year, and typically revolve around international news stories, major events, celebrity news, gossip and natural disasters. (Quite often, those last few can be grouped together).
Natural curiosity about political leaders, well known entertainers and amazing athletes typically fuel the daily buzz on every search engine, but major events like the 2008 Olympics and US Election always add extra fuel to the search frenzy. This year’s lists collect the best of the best, and the best of the worst.
What’s Hot, Where & Why
- Google 2008 Year-End Zeitgeist; Fastest Rising Searches
- Yahoo’s 2008 Year End Round-Up of Buzzworthy Searches
- Ask.com: Top Search Trends of 2008
- AOL 2008 Year in Review: The Hottest Search Trends
- Online Holiday Shopping Stats & Most Searched Gifts (includes top shopping searches on Google)
Microsoft Live Search has not yet released the data for most popular searches in 2008, but it will be posted here when it become available.