Sign up for weekly recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, July 26, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google Mobilizes Place Pages for Android Devices
Today Google announced upgraded Maps for Android, with the addition of a new mobile version of Places (not to be confused with the Android app Places Directory). It enables users to browse for categories of businesses nearby. It also allows users to create custom search categories (e.g., “free wifi”). The data presented are the same […]
- Globalizing & Localizing E-Business: Five Steps To Multilingual SEO Success
Not so long ago, there were only a few companies out there that bothered to customize their websites for foreign markets. Those who chose to do so made minimal effort—they simply translated their English copy into the local language and started doing business. Their incentives to create more sophisticated, tailored offerings was minimal; […]
- Google, Content Farms & Why This May Be Blekko’s Moment
At the beginning of Google’s “Searchology” event in early 2007 original Google employee Craig Silverstein opined, “If Google had started a year or two earlier, it wouldn’t have worked.” That’s because prior to that time (1998) the internet wasn’t yet large enough to require Google or enable people to see the value of its approach.
- Google Revamps Dictionary Results
Google announced they have redesigned and enhanced their dictionary results.
Google said you no longer have to type define or what is prior to your search to trigger a dictionary. Google added “implicit triggering” of the dictionary result, so for example, a search on [stupendous] shows a dictionary result at the top of […]
- Google’s #1 Son Silverstein Speaks, Android’s Sung Exits
Craig Silverstein, Google’s first employee, is still the company’s director of technology. The question is why? He’s undoubtedly in a financial position where he no longer has to work. Maybe that’s precisely why he remains at Google, connected to the founders and their vision of the company.
Silverstein was in Gainesville Florida for his 20th high […]
- SMX Agenda Live – Register by Friday to Get Super Early Bird Rates!
Attend SMX East October 4-6 in New York City and become be a more effective, innovative and inspired internet marketer. Register by this Friday, July 30 and pay only $1195 for 3 days of exceptional content, invaluable connections, and all the essential conveniences SMX events provide.
The SMX East Agenda features more than 50 sessions […]
- Forget Search: Let’s Go Social
If you have an extra hour in your very busy workday day, don’t spend it fine-tuning your site for algo search, or optimizing your SEM campaigns for efficiency, ROI or profitability. Spend it building out and executing on your social media strategy. I know, shocking advice coming from an old search jockey like me, but […]
- For Travel Planning, Search Engines May Not Be Your Best Destination
It’s that time of year when many of us turn to the internet for information, advice and maps to help plan a getaway for some rest and relaxation. Although search engines may be an obvious place to start your quest, they often aren’t your best bet for useful information, helpful advice or savvy planning tips. Here’s why—along with an in-depth look at more useful alternatives.
- The Thirteen Best Online Travel Guides
Virtually all of the famous print travel guides have online counterparts. Most are just as packed with information, photos and maps as their print versions. Most also have planning tools, community, deals and other online-specific features. Surprisingly, for sites that offer information about travel and moving around the world, many don’t have mobile versions of […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Google, Microsoft Vie to Sell Cloud Mail to U.S. Government, Wall Street Journal
- Introducing Google Apps for Government, Official Google Blog
- Tips & Tricks: GoogleLookup in Google spreadsheets, Official Google Docs Blog
- And Now Three Questions For Paul Ceglia — The Man Who Says He Owns 84% Of Facebook, Business Insider
- Big Money: AOL’s Beauty Pageant With Google, Microsoft For New Search Deal, TechCrunch
- Google’s sway on Web policy feared, Seattle Times Newspaper
- The Facebook Lawsuit: Everybody Calm Down and Remember Your 1L Contracts Class, abovethelaw.com
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Introducing the Mapper API, Google App Engine Blog
- Android Market purchases soon billable to more carriers?, Fortune Tech
- Yelp’s Stoppelman Talks About Geo-Location, International Expansion (And Not Google), AllThingsD
Paid Search & Contextual
- Tracking clicks from mobile devices, Inside AdWords
- AdSense: Behind the Scenes – Meet Evanne, Inside AdSense
- Google Mobile Apps Ads Earns 5X More But iAds 5X More Valuable, RustyBrick
- How to Setup Google DFP (DoubleClick for Publishers) for Selling Ads on your Site – A Tutorial, Digital Inspiration
- Should Google AdSense Do Away With Pub IDs? Go Allowed Sites Only?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Answer: Finding reviews, SearchReSearch
- How and Why Google Might Estimate the Number of Users Behind an IP Address, SEO By The Sea
- How To Hide News Sources in Google News, Search Engine Roundtable
- Video Recap of Weekly Search Buzz :: July 23, 2010, Search Engine Roundtable
- What Color is Your SEO Hat?, SEO Book
SEO & SEM
- A Duplicate Content Problem You May Not Know You Have, Search Marketing Standard
- Back to SEM Basics, Search Engine Watch
- Content Therapy: Here’s Lookin’ at You, Site!, SEO Copywriting
- Google Webmaster Tools Query Report Relates To AdWords Exact Match Tool, Search Engine Roundtable
- Matt Cutts On Hacked Site & Hand Editing Search Results, Search Engine Roundtable
- Ongoing SEO Tactics for Hyperlocal Blogs, HyperlocalBlogger
- Reasons Why Wikipedia Ranks So High in the Search Engines, dailyseotip.com
- IAC’s Barry Diller: Not everything has to be Twitter, Fortune Tech
- 6 Key Metrics for a Social Media Measurement Dashboard, Search Engine Watch
- Does adding Twitter to a brand make it cooler?, Scobleizer
- Facebook Application Bookmarks Now Drop Below The Fold If Unused For 30 Days, Inside Facebook
- Facebook Testing “Delete Account” Option., thenextweb.com
- FourSquare’s Crowley on Facebook, Check-in Fatigue & the Copy Cats, gigaom.com
- How to Deal with Criticism Properly, Search Engine Guide
- Inside Facebook’s Open Source Infrastructure, Developer.com
- What Do You Love About Your Favorite Bloggers?, outspokenmedia.com
- You’ve got a lot of questions about foursquare, it…, foursquare
Video, Music & Image Search
- Play Snake in YouTube’s Player, Google Operating System
- British royals expand online presence with Flickr, Yahoo! News
- Google’s meets with music publisher, Harry Fox Agency advancing plans to open music store, NYPOST.com
- Honoring the 20th Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act, Official Google Blog
- Yahoo Celebrated 20th Anniversary of Americans with Disabilities Act, Search Engine Roundtable
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Manual PPC Bid Management is Dead – First reason speaks volume to this article: While you’re adjusting bids manually, your competitors are writing and testing creative ad copy.
- Be Careful What You RT: Mashable Spreads Amazon’s Hype via Twitter Sheep – Well-put: "I just have little tolerance for people with influence in the blogosphere who choose to use that influence irresponsibly. And I’d consider passing along half-assed info without asking legitimate questions to be precisely that".