Sign up for weekly recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: Udi Manber Leaves Google, Bing Ads Mom’s Day & No Panda & Penguin Whitelists
Barry Schwartz on February 11, 2015 at 5:00 pm
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google Says There’s No Whitelist To Save You From Panda Or Penguin
Google’s John Mueller said there is no whitelist for the Penguin and Panda algorithms, like there is for the SafeSearch algorithm.
- Here’s An AdWords Script That Will Let You A/B Test Anything
Columnist Daniel Gilbert wasn’t satisfied with AdWords’ native A/B testing capabilities, so he and his team wrote a script.
- Understanding & Explaining A Realistic SEO Timeline
How long should it take to see SEO results? Columnist Stephan Spencer says there’s no simple answer to this question, but explains some of the factors which may impact an SEO timeline.
- Bing Ads Offers Search Insights For Mother’s Day Marketers
Now A $20 billion holiday in the U.S., Mother’s Day-related searches start rising roughly a month in advance, though search habits vary by gift category.
- After Nine Years, Google’s Udi Manber Moves On
Executive had been at Amazon and Yahoo before Google.
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- To Improve Ads Quality, Facebook Will Expose “Relevance Score”
- What Retail Marketers Can Learn From Dating Apps’ Game Of Love
- 4 Steps To Justifying Mobile Usability & SEO In 2015
- Facebook Reportedly Pitching Cinemagraphs To Advertisers
- Marketing Day: Retailers Make Mobile Priority, Google Trends Data Goldmine & Marketer’s Guide To Snapchat
- Degree Men To Use Twitter Card Poll To Determine Shots In Game Of HORSE Between NBA All-Stars
- Retailers: Priority Is Mobile But Spending “Modest,” Apps “On Back Burner” [Survey]
- 2014 E-Commerce Sales Up 10% Or More For Majority Of Online Retailers [Survey]
- Facebook’s Mobile Numbers Soar After Dark Social Cleanup
- The Google Trends Data Goldmine
- Has The Attribution Pendulum Swung Too Far Away From Search?
- A Marketer’s Guide To Snapchat & How Brands Can Build Followers Through “Stories”
- Why The Quality Of Your Data Is Crucial For Content Marketing In 2015
- Report: U.S. Smartphone Penetration Now At 75 Percent
Search News From Around The Web:
- Darpa Is Developing a Search Engine for the Dark Web, Wired
- Haosou, The Other Chinese Search Engine, The SEM Post
- How Google was Corroborating Facts for Direct Answers, SEO By The Sea
- Search Challenge (2/11/15): How did traffic signs come to be?, SearchReSearch
- Cleaning Up The SEO Industry, koozai.com
- Content Marketing Focus Revives Agency SEO Efforts, Revenues, Ad Age
- Death to Wishy-Washy Reports: Simple Edits to Put the Authority Back in Your Writing, Moz
- Dynamically Added Meta Data Indexed By Google Crawlers, Simo Ahava’s blog
- How to do SEO Outreach in 2015: Strategies that Work, SEMrush Blog
- In 2015, Your Job As An SEO Should Be Just SEO, joehall.me
- Panda Remediation and CMS Limitations – 5 Problems You Might Encounter, Search Engine Watch
- Watch Google When They Don’t Have Authority To Share SEO Problems, Search Engine Roundtable
- What you Need to do on Twitter to Rank Better on Google, Ignite Visibility
SEM / Paid Search
- Who Has the Most Valuable Search Traffic?, Siege Media
- Migrate Your Campaign Analytics Tags to Universal Event Tracking Before They Expire, Bing Ads Blog