Sign up for weekly recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
Uncovering The Best Mobile SEO Resources On The Web
About two weeks ago, I started a new chapter in my professional life as the VP and “Conductor” of Marketing at BlueTrain Mobile, an award-winning technology start up company in Cambridge, MA.
This is an exciting career move for me in so many ways, and will push me to ramp up on my “mobile SEO” knowledge very quickly.
Of course, overseeing our own SEO program will be a small part of what I do, and I will need to quickly adapt my decade+ of search industry experience to help our customers understand why, and how, the mobile Web is so intricately tied to search and discovery.
That’s for another time.
In my new role, I fully expect to have thought-leadership pieces ready shortly that help marketers understand the ins and outs of questions such as “App vs. Mobile Web – It’s Not An Either/Or”, “The Mobile Web Is About Search & Discovery”, “Google Says It’s About Speed, Relevance, and Simplicity – Where Is Your Mobile Website?”, “What Should The Mobile Marketer Prize Most?”, and other cool mobile marketing topics.
For now, I’m still highly invested in, and honored to continue, writing my In The Trenches column here at Search Engine Land! In keeping with providing real-time value for SEL readers, I’d like to share some of the mobile website SEO resources that I’ve found valuable in getting up to speed (hint: I’m saving you time from going to Google and simply typing “mobile SEO” – you will not get you the results you need for actually learning anything valuable, with some exceptions – what a surprise!).
The mobile SEO resources below can supplement your reading of Search Engine Land’s Mobile Mondays column (and, don’t worry – I have no intention of making my column an unofficial extension of Mobile Mondays!).
- Great overview of mobile SEO! – The New Mobile SEO: What You Need To Know, Search Engine Land, by Cindy Krum (@mobilmoxie), Apr 15, 2010
- Another great article by Cindy Krum – SEO: The Amazon Android AppStore, MobileMoxie.com, March 25, 2011
- How to create a “Mobile SEO Toolkit”, Search Engine Watch, by Gary-Adam Shannon (@gshannon), January 17, 2011
- Why Mobile Friendly Is Not Mobile SEO, Search Engine Land, by Bryson Meunier (@brysonmeunier), Mar 7, 2011
- 3 Tips for Better Mobile SEO, Mashable, by Jason Taylor (@Usablenet), June 3, 2011
- 3 Strategies for Getting Found in a Mobile World, by Michael Redbord (@redbord), Hubspot, Jun 08, 2011
- Google Webmaster Central Blog, Making Websites Mobile Friendly, February 22, 2011
- GoogleMobileAds YouTube Channel – See what statistics and insights you can glean by skimming through a number of Google’s promotional videos for mobile advertising. There’s actually some good stuff once you get past the feeling that you are being sold to.
- About Yahoo! Mobile Web Crawler, Yahoo! Help (my question – will the Bing search partnership make this irrelevant?)
- LinkedIn Groups, Mobile Marketing & Advertising & Mobile Analytics (you may have to pick through the group discussions for SEO topics and shared articles)
- 33 Mobile SEO & Mobile Analytics Resources, Tad Chef by (@seoptimise), July 9, 2009
- If you believe that W3C code validation matters in SEO, you can use their “Mobile OK” validation tool – http://validator.w3.org/mobile/
- Developing Mobile Sites, Google Webmaster Forum
- Google CEO, Eric Schmidt at Mobile World Congress, May 17, 2011
- Mobile SEO Tips For Everyone – Filmed on an iPad 2 – Whiteboard Friday, SEOmoz, by Aaron Wheeler (@aaron_wheeler), May 19th, 2011
- Matt Cutts, Does indexing a mobile website create a duplicate content issues? , Jan 14, 2011
One thing I am finding is that the mobile SEO category is still in its nascent stages, and articles and resources with true tips and tricks are hard to come by.
If you know of other, legitimate, resources that will add to the resource/learning value of this article, please make your suggestions below. And, as always, connect with me via @akomack on Twitter!
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.