Sign up for our daily recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
Google Docs Releases New Presentation Features
The Google Docs blog has announced new features for the Google Docs suite of tools. You can now create subfolders to more easily organize your documents and can rename documents and folders from the toolbar (previously, you could only do this from the File menu). The toolbar has also been spiffed up.
In addition, Google has launched several new features for Google Presentations, including the ability to embed presentations into a page of any site. More details on the Presentations features below.
With this launch, Google Presentations has gotten a number of new features.
- Embed a presentation into any web site
- Import slides from another (Google or Powerpoint) presentation
- Drag and drop an image from any web page into a presentation slide
- Easily rearrange slides with new control options
- Easily change the slide background
The blog described these new presentations with a slide presentation embedded into the post via the new embedding functionality.That seems slick, but may not be the best way of presenting the content from an SEO or usability perspective.
Here’s what the post looks like with the presentation embedded:
Many sites and blogs likely will find good uses of this new feature, but webmasters may not want to use it to deliver textual content. The same advice applies here as applies to technologies such as Flash, video, and audio:
- Use sparingly
- Use primarily for illustrative content that’s not best represented in text
- Provide textual clues about the content by using things like headings, descriptive summaries, and captions
- Include a transcript of written or spoken content
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.