Replay: How to future-prep your skills to advance your marketing career
Performance media marketers discuss the digital marketing skills that will be in-demand.
As automation, machine learning and artificial intelligence help power more of digital marketing, our skills and the way we work to accomplish our marketing goals need to involve. I spoke about how to emerge a more nimble and successful PPC marketer in the predictive marketing era during SMX Next. Later that day, on a special Live with Search Engine Land, I spoke with two in-house marketing leaders, Natalie Barreda, senior manager of media at T-Mobile, and Mike Henderson, chief marketing officer at Surety Bonds, about this topic.
We discussed the skills that have helped them in their own digital marketing careers, what they look for when hiring and the marketing skills that will be most in-demand in this new era. Here is the complete list of topics we discussed, with corresponding timestamps:
- 13:06 Knowing how to interpret campaign results, asses proper KPIs
- 14:03 How to think about ad testing now
- 16:40 Working with machine learning systems in the ad platforms
- 17:15 Machine learning + manual controls: Taking campaigns to the next level
- 18:02 Adapt but critically challenge what the ad platforms espouse
- 18:39 How to use Responsive Search Ads for iterative learning and testing
- 19:36 Using audiences and understanding their targeting signals
- 20:15 Predictive marketing: Why inputs matter
- 20:54 Hiring: What skills are in-demand for digital marketing now?
- 22:00 Hiring: Communications skills are even more important now
- 23:33 Hiring: What can certifications indicate?
- 25:05 Hiring: Role of psychology and empathy in digital marketing
- 25:16 Hiring: A learning mindset
- 26:25 Hiring: Data skills
- 28:55 Future-proofing skills: Ad tech in the age of privacy and regulation
- 30:14 Social psychology, behavioral economics: Data represents people
- 31:44 Resources for learning PPC
Watch the full session above and subscribe to Search Engine Land’s YouTube channel to keep up with future Live with Search Engine Land episodes.
Live with Search Engine Land’s weekly meetups are about giving great marketers a platform to inform, support and convene our global community. If you have an idea for a session or would like to join a panel, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
More from SMX Next
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.