Discover what's up in the business of marketing each Friday.
Does Google Have A Class System For Googlers?
Former Googler, Andrew Norman Wilson posted a very interesting video on his blog about a group of Google employees who were portrayed as a “lower class” of Googlers.
These Googlers were primarily responsible for the Google Book project where they manually scanned books all day. Andrew Wilson documented how these Googlers worked, starting their day at 4 am and leaving at 2:15 pm every day. He also said they were hired by not only Google but also by Transvideo Studios. The building they worked at was near the other Google buildings in Mountain View, California and was building number 3.14159~.
Andrew felt they were lower class Googlers because they wore a yellow badge, weren’t allowed access to the Google shuttles, free Google food, the Google bikes and tons of other Google perks.
You can watch the video Andrew created while at Google of this group of people below. The video was created because he was interested in documenting the issues of class, race, and labor within Google.
Google has yet to post a statement on this video, from what I can tell:
For more details, see Andrew’s blog.
- Amazing Early Google Video Shows Boyish Larry & Sergey, Bored Employees Who Would Become Millionaires
- Google’s Larry Page, Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg Make 2011 TIME 100 List
- What’s It Like To Be A Google Search Engineer?
- Google Q1 Revenues $8.58 Billion, Some Investors Unhappy
- Google’s Executive Reorg: Does It Matter?
- Reports: Google CEO Page Ties Bonuses To Social Success, Reorganizes Google Mgmt. Team