Sign up for our daily recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
Google News Plays The Badge Achievement Game
Google News announced you can now earn badges for reading news on Google News. The badges are awarded by topic, such as stock market, Apple, Harry Potter, U.S. Politics and so on. The more you read about a specific topic through Google News, the higher the badge reaches. It starts at Bronze and goes to Silver, Gold, Platinum and then Ultimate.
Here is a video demoing the feature:
I personally was granted the achievement of the Apple badge:
Your badges are private by default, you however share your badges with your friends. You can also add custom sections by hovering on a badge and clicking “add section”. To get started with badges, visit Google News from a signed-in account with web history enabled and then visit this page the instructions page for more details.
- Google News Gets A Bit More Personal
- Google News Adds Expandable Clusters, Story Labels, & More To Home Page
- Look Out Blogs: Google News Gains Options To Drop Blogs & Press Releases
- Google News Testing Twitter Integration With “Friends”
- Google News Adds “Follow News” Button, Easy Way To Customize Home Page