SearchCap: The Day In Search, December 29, 2011
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google Instant Costs Google $65,000 In France
The Local, a French newspaper, reports Google France was ordered to pay €50,000 ($64,670) to Lyonnaise de Garantie, a French insurance company over a search suggestion that had them labeled as being a “crook.” In the case of this French company, when you typed in their company name, Lyonnaise de Garantie it suggested at the [...]
- Where To Get Citations For Local SEO
If you haven’t heard, local SEO is taking over. More than 20 percent of Google searches are for a local business. That number doubles on mobile devices, and it’s starting to show in the SERPs. When was the last time you searched and got only the traditional 10 organic listings? SERPs are being inundated with [...]
- How To Get A 30% Increase In CTR With Structured Markup
As documented by case studies in the U.S. and abroad, retail firms can get up to a 30 percent increase in organic traffic by using structured markup like Schema Microdata, GoodRelations and Google Rich Snippets, etc. This begs the question: why aren’t more retailers using structured markup? Implementing structured data requires the skill of adding [...]
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Dueling Mobile User Numbers: Android vs. Apple vs. Facebook
- E-Retail Index Shows Amazon, Netflix Diverging In Satisfaction Scores
- Twelve Mobile Predictions for 2012
- Google+ Censoring Borderline Offensive Profile Images; Author Images in Search Results To Blame?
Search News From Around The Web:
Local, Maps & Mobile
- 8 Awesome Infographics That Drive Inbound Links (And Why), Search Engine People
- BitTorrent Zeitgeist: What People Searched For in 2011, TorrentFreak
- Counting to 10 the Google Way, SEOmoz
- Google Updates Google Finance Securities Indexer, Search Engine Roundtable
- Searchers Upset With Being Forced Into Searches, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- Conferences and Events – Best of Search Conferences 2011: Day 2, BruceClay.com
- Google Can Handle Repetitive Boilerplate Text, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Panda Update: Say Goodbye to Low-Quality Link Building, Search Engine Watch
- How Google Might Identify Transient Content on Webpages, SEO By The Sea
- Scripting SEO: 5 Panda-Fighting Tricks for Large Sites, SEOmoz
- Where Search Engine Optimization May Go in 2012, SEO Theory
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.