SearchCap: The Day In Search, August 9, 2011
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web. From Search Engine Land: Google’s Matt Cutts Offering More Detailed Video Search Tips The Google Webmaster Blog announced a new format for Google’s Matt Cutts video tutorials. Instead of the short minute or so videos, […]
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google’s Matt Cutts Offering More Detailed Video Search Tips
The Google Webmaster Blog announced a new format for Google’s Matt Cutts video tutorials. Instead of the short minute or so videos, Matt will also be offering more detailed videos that are longer and more flushed out. Google explained, “instead of only focusing on quick answers to specific questions, we’ve created some longer videos which […]
- Link Building Tool Review: Link Research Tool Set By CEMPER
Beginning today, my Link Week column will be devoted to link building tool reviews. Each review will focus on how the tool works and provide tips on how you can use the results to build links. If you’re on the fence about buying a tool, hopefully my reviews will help with your decision making process. The […]
- SEO Stats Galore In Latest MarketingSherpa Benchmark Study
Do you find link building to be the most difficult SEO tactic to employ? Do you find content creation to be the most effective SEO tactic? What about conversions? Are you looking for website visitors to complete a form, or make a purchase? You can compare your answers to those questions and many others in […]
- Utilizing Social Media To Celebrate Milestones As Marketing Opportunities
Social media was created with the idea in mind that people were going to use it to connect with friends, family, and even strangers from around the world. It has now grown into not only a personal networking opportunity, but also a marketing opportunity for businesses wishing to promote their products and services. When marketing […]
- Baidu: Behind The Scenes At The Number One Chinese Search Engine
The number one search engine in China is easily Baidu. But what are the people at Baidu really like and what would it be like to work there? Is this a typical Chinese or Beijing company? Or does Baidu more comfortably sit in an Extended Silicon Valley — influenced by Californian attitudes but based a long way from the 101? And how does Baidu compare with both Google and Yandex?
- AOL Q2 Earnings: Display Up, Search Down
AOL released its second quarter earnings this morning. Most financial analysts had a positive reaction to AOL’s display ad growth, though overall revenues were were off 8 percent: $542.2 million (vs. $592.2 million a year ago). Display revenues were up 14 percent overall, 16 percent in the US. However search and contextual ad revenues were […]
- Digg Releases ‘Newswire’ To Help Promote Breaking Stories
A long time favorite news aggregation site of marketers, Digg has released a new service titled ‘Newswire.’ This new service will help users both find and break upcoming news and is the first time that Digg is showing who ‘buried’ an article since the release of Digg Version 4. Newswire will essentially fast-track an article […]
- Facebook Now Grouping News Feed Stories By Topic
Today Facebook announced that changes have been made to the way that the news feed displays similar updates from friends. Facebook will essentially group posts together in the news feed if they are on the same topic. This will operate very similarly to the grouping that occurs when multiple friends share the same link. The […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Making Google spreadsheet functions easier to discover and use, Google Docs Blog
- Google Gets Default Injunction Against AdWord Gamers–Google v. Jackman, Eric Goldman
- bitly Acquires Twitterfeed, bitly blog
- What Google Can Teach You about Market Domination, outspokenmedia.com
- Yahoo Discount Means U.S. Portal Free in Deal, Bloomberg
- Yahoo Investors Sue Over Alibaba Restructuring of Payment System, BusinessWeek
Local, Maps & Mobile
- First Google Ice Cream Sandwich devices may launch in October, bgr.com
- Google Places Bug Loses Major Hawaii Hotel, Small Business SEM
Paid Search & Contextual
- Policy Tips – Keeping the network family-safe, Inside AdSense
SEO & SEM
- Announcing: The Complete Google Algo History, SEOmoz
- Bidding On Competitor’s URLs With Google AdWords, Search Engine Roundtable
- Get the Best of Your Joomla Website – Onsite SEO Tips, Search Engine Journal
- Google AdWords Billing Tab Goes Missing, Search Engine Roundtable
- Learning SEO By Reading Books On Google’s Business, Search Engine Roundtable
- London Riots Topical PPC: Great Opportunism or Poor Taste?, periscopix.co.uk
- MozCon 2011 – International SEO Presentation & Data, distilled
- Google+ Observations At 30 Days Old, Online Marketing Blog
- Google’s Plus Sized Failure, Eric Lander
- 5 Plus Google +1 SEO Tips from Googleplex in Mountain View, Search Engine Watch
- Google Group Members to Use Facial Recognition to Identify London Rioters, TechCrunch
- How to Share on Google+ from any website, State of Search
- Now You Can Upload Photos Into Twitter, mikecanex.wordpress.com
- PPC Campaign Structure Basics & Best Practices, PPC Hero
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Drop the Autobot: Manual Posting to Facebook Outperforms Automated – We've written on auto-posting before and there still seems to be a debate as to whether or not it actually affects performance to post via bot. Anecdotally, I've found that manual posting shows significant increases in performance.
- Announcing: The Complete Google Algo History – SEOmoz’s first “living document”, a complete history of named Google algorithm changes, from “Boston” in 2003 to Panda 2.3 (or whatever the kids are calling it these days).
- Discussion: When is it appropriate to use the no follow tag on a resourceful link? – Is there ever a time when its 'OK' to 'no-follow' a backlink to a site that offers your audience value? Do you think it's against SEO ethics to hoard pagerank? More importantly do you believe the linking site gains anything by this approach?
- Produce Actionable Insights: Mate Custom Reports With Adv Segments! – Multiple ways to make meaningful and actionable web analytics reports.
- Google +1: Can it Ever Be a Major Ranking Signal? (History Says Not Really) – Logically, we all think +1′s could be a good signal. Mostly because When you +1 content from your account, that account is multi-dimensional giving it a different spam profile thank say a link, which is the traditional way of sites getting “votes” that impact placement on the SERPS. But can it become a major ranking signal?
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
New on Search Engine Land