SearchCap: The Day In Search, February 17, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web. From Search Engine Land: When In House Should Opt For Outsourcing There are not too many times when I advocate that an in-house SEO program should turn to outsourcing. Far too many times I have […]
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- When In House Should Opt For Outsourcing
There are not too many times when I advocate that an in-house SEO program should turn to outsourcing. Far too many times I have seen businesses hire agencies to perform SEO work, and it ends up being a case of the visually impaired leading the visually impaired.
It’s rare, but some agencies and consultants truly do […]
- New B2B Product Introductions: Prioritize Your Online Tactics
Here is something that product managers and strategic marketers know first-hand: new product introductions and market roll-outs often carry large, and daunting, expectations. A poorly-executed product intro can cost jobs, upward professional mobility, and even millions of dollars and damage to an entire product family’s brand image in the market.
It is fairly common that a […]
- Analytics & Conversion SMX West Dream Agenda
This post was written by Feras Alhlou, SMX West presenter and workshop leader for “Using Google Analytics to Improve Your Online Marketing & Business.”
Not everything that can be counted counts, and, not everything that counts can be counted.
– Albert Einstein
Einstein’s observation wasn’t intended to describe internet marketing, but it certainly applies! Truth is, many […]
- Customized Google Analytics: Migrating From setVar To setCustomVar
Many tactics for improving conversion rates rely on accurate data about what is currently happening with visitors to your site. As a result, customizing analytics tracking is a core part of any optimizer’s job. At the end of last year, Google announced a bunch of new features including multiple custom variables accessed via the _setCustomVar […]
- Fox In The Henhouse: How To Recruit Your Competitors’ Facebook Audience
Aggressive marketers have been infiltrating competitors’ camps since long before Odysseus sought covert entrance to Troy by way of the fabled Trojan horse. Search and social media marketing tools elevated competitive intelligence to the level of industrial espionage, in the hands of the unscrupulous.
That said, somewhere to the left of that ethical line in the […]
- How To Search Google Buzz
Looking to find something on Google Buzz? Ironically, for a product from Google, searching Buzz seems to have a lot that can be improved. Below, some tips I’ve pulled together.
Buzz Search From Google
Buzz has its own search box, as you’ll find at the top of the page. But doing a search using this built-in tool […]
- Google Gives $2 Million To Wikimedia Foundation
Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales used Twitter earlier tonight to announce that Google is giving $2 million to the Wikimedia Foundation:
Google has donated $2 million to the Wikimedia Foundation! Formal announcement tomorrow…
The Wikimedia Foundation is a non-profit organization that operates Wikipedia and other collaborative sites such Wiktionary, Wikinews, and Wikimedia Commons.
- Canadian Government Investigating Google Buzz; U.S. Govt. Next?
After a “challenging” first week for Google Buzz, week number two has begun with still more concerns over privacy, not to mention a government investigation in Canada and the potential for one in the U.S., too.
CBC News is reporting that Canada’s Office of the Privacy Commissioner has opened an investigation into Google Buzz:
Valerie Lawton, a […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- AOL Plans To Launch "Hundreds" More Patch Local News Sites In 2010, Business Insider
- Facebook Defeats Yahoo to Become America’s Second Most Popular Website, thenextweb.com
- Open-sourcing the Living Stories format, Google News Blog
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Google chief extends olive branch to mobile phone groups, The Guardian
Paid Search & Contextual
- Poll: 60% of Google AdSense Publishers Say Earnings Down, Search Engine Roundtable
- Typos may earn Google $500m a year, New Scientist
- Inside Google’s Hot Topics, a real-time heat map of news and chatter, Los Angeles Times
- Integrating translation into Google Goggles, Google Translate Blog
- Is Google Getting Too Personal?, SEOmoz
- Just Released Statistics: Internet Use in the United States: 2009, ResourceShelf
SEO & SEM
- 10 Types of Landing Page Goals for PPC Campaigns, Search Engine Journal
- 3 SEO-Friendly WP Plugins to Display Featured Posts, Search Engine Journal
- Bing Indexing New Content & Sites Faster?, Search Engine Roundtable
- How can a site that focuses on video or images improve its rankings?, YouTube
- Google Buzz bug exposes user geo location, The Register
- How Google Went Into "Code Red" And Saved Google Buzz, businessinsider.com
- Interesting! Study: Ages of Social Network Users, ResourceShelf
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Bury Negative Publicity With New Pages on the Same Domain
- Interview with Debra Mastaler, Link Building Expert
New on Search Engine Land