Get the latest news in local search marketing each week.
Google Has Launched A Hurricane Sandy Crisis Map
For those of you in the path of Hurricane Sandy, like me, knowing certain information about the storm can be vital to those stuck at home and preparing for the storm.
What do these maps give you?
- Location tracking, including the hurricane’s current and forecasted paths, courtesy of the NOAA-National Hurricane Center
- Public alerts, including evacuation notices, storm warnings, and more, via weather.gov and earthquake.usgs.gov
- Radar and cloud imagery from weather.com and the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory
- Evacuation information and routes
- Shelters and recovery centers will appear as they become operational
- Storm footage and storm-related YouTube videos, curated by Storyful
The NYC maps give you additional detail from the NYC Open Data database including evacuation zone information from, open shelters, weather information and live webcams.
Also see our Hurricane Sandy Superstorm Resources for additional sites that you may find useful beyond Google, and Tracking Hurricane Sandy Through Twitter is our guide to using Twitter for monitoring news.