Over 19 Billion Searches In July, Google And Bing Both Up

Earlier today, comScore released July 2013 US search market share data. The figures reflect modest growth for Google, stasis for Bing and contraction for everyone else.

Google bumped up slightly from last month to 67 percent market share, while Bing hovered just below 18 percent. Yahoo lost a tenth of a point, as did both Ask and AOL.

Search Market Share July 2013

Looking at the data from a year ago, Google’s share has been largely flat: between 66.8 and 67 percent. Bing is up a little over 2 points, and the remaining trio are all down. Bing’s share gains have come at the expense of partner Yahoo and the other two.

A year ago the BingHoo combination controlled 28.7 percent of search. Today, it has 29.2 percent. That’s basically a no growth scenario.

When the Search Alliance was announced four years ago, Yahoo had 19.3 percent of the search market and Bing had 8.9 percent. The two boasted a combined 28.2 percent of the market (1 point less than today). Since that time, Yahoo and Bing have essentially switched places — or are moving toward that realignment.

July 2012 US search market share

Returning to the current month, Google and Bing both saw a 1 percent gain in query volume. Ask and AOL saw query volume losses. Across the five engines, overall search queries for July were up to more than 19.3 billion.

Search query volumes July 2013

Related Topics: Channel: Industry | Google | Microsoft | Microsoft: Bing | Stats | Stats: comScore | Stats: Popularity | Top News | Yahoo | Yahoo: Search

Sponsored


About The Author: is a Contributing Editor at Search Engine Land. He writes a personal blog Screenwerk, about SoLoMo issues and connecting the dots between online and offline. He also posts at Internet2Go, which is focused on the mobile Internet. Follow him @gsterling.

Connect with the author via: Email | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn



SearchCap:

Get all the top search stories emailed daily!  

Share

Other ways to share:
 

Read before commenting! We welcome constructive comments and allow any that meet our common sense criteria. This means being respectful and polite to others. It means providing helpful information that contributes to a story or discussion. It means leaving links only that substantially add further to a discussion. Comments using foul language, being disrespectful to others or otherwise violating what we believe are common sense standards of discussion will be deleted. Comments may also be removed if they are posted from anonymous accounts. You can read more about our comments policy here.

Comments are closed.

Get Our News, Everywhere!

Daily Email:

Follow Search Engine Land on Twitter @sengineland Like Search Engine Land on Facebook Follow Search Engine Land on Google+ Get the Search Engine Land Feed Connect with Search Engine Land on LinkedIn Check out our Tumblr! See us on Pinterest

 
 

Click to watch SMX conference video

Join us at one of our SMX or MarTech events:

United States

Europe

Australia & China

Learn more about: SMX | MarTech


Free Daily Search News Recap!

SearchCap is a once-per-day newsletter update - sign up below and get the news delivered to you!

 


 

Search Engine Land Periodic Table of SEO Success Factors

Get Your Copy
Read The Full SEO Guide