Sign up for weekly recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: Google Core Explanation, Bing Updates & Bad Ads Report
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google Explains What It Means To Be Part Of The “Core” Algorithm
Jan 21, 2016 by Barry Schwartz
To be core, the algorithm needs to be consistent enough to run by itself without much worry that it won’t work right.
- Google Improves Weather Search Results On Android In Time For Winter Storm Jonas
Jan 21, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
Weather-related search results will now include hourly sky conditions, air quality and severe weather alerts.
- Not Another Post About The Future Of SEO In 2016
Jan 21, 2016 by Patrick Stox
Don’t get stuck in an SEO rut in 2016. Columnist Patrick Stox urges you to leap into the unknown and learn something new in order to understand the big picture.
- Breaking Up Is Hard to Do, But Sometimes It’s the Right Thing For Your Agency
Jan 21, 2016 by Janet Driscoll Miller
Do you have a client that isn’t a good fit for your SEO agency? Columnist Janet Driscoll Miller has some tips to help you determine when it’s time to part ways.
- Google’s 2015 “Bad Ads” Report: 780 Million Ads, 25K App Accounts Shut Down
Jan 21, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
One of Google’s efforts last year was to prevent accidental mobile clicks when app developers purposely placed ads too close to application buttons.
- Bing Boasts Continuous Updates To Their Search Engine Daily
Jan 21, 2016 by Barry Schwartz
Bing deploys multiple updates per day in an effort to constantly improve the search results and features.
- Smart Social Report: Network Trends, Building Brand Relevance, Content & Community
Jan 20, 2016 by Digital Marketing Depot
Where is social headed? How does my brand fit in? And, most importantly — how can social make me smarter? If any of these questions have come up in recent strategy sessions, The Smart Social Report can provide clarity. We evaluated 50 leading brands across 10 different verticals, eight social networks and thousands of pieces […]
- Meet Marketing Technologist And MarTech Program Chair Scott Brinker
Jan 21, 2016 by Search Engine Land
A conversation with MarTech’s conference chair and creator of chiefmartec.com blog
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Ad Platform Marin Software/SocialMoov Extends Weekend Downtime Into A Week
- Smart Social Report
- Skittles & Kia Tease Super Bowl 50 Ads: Skittles Gets Steven Tyler & Kia Nabs Christopher Walken
- The Blogger’s Guide To Nofollow Links
- Brave: New Ad Blocking Browser Promises More Privacy & Faster Page Loading
- 11 Things To Do Now To Keep Your AdWords Healthy In 2016
- Thanks To Social, Advertisers Plan To Spend More Programmatically In 2016 [Report]
- Social Media Scheduling: Why I Use Buffer And Hootsuite In Tandem
- Are Your Customers Risk-Takers? When And How To Use Risk Tactics To Improve Conversions
- MarTech Today: Google’s “Real-Time Ads,” Replacing Social Marketers & bRealTime’s Header Bidding Container
- Facebook Sports Stadium Launches As A Unified Place For Fans To Connect In Real Time
- Top 2015 App Downloads & Revenues Lists Have One App In Common: Skype
- Retailers: Salesforce Will Now Send A Free Team of Experts To Match Its Marketing Cloud To Your Needs
- Kickstart Your Marketing Automation Success With This Five-Step Starter Kit
- Q4 Search Spend Up 8 Percent, While Social Ad Spend Rose 50 Percent [Report]
Search News From Around The Web:
- Google Says They Care About Businesses & Webmasters, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google’s Gary Illyes Doesn’t Lie, Search Engine Roundtable
Local & Maps
- Reach new heights with Street View of Mont Blanc in Google Maps, Google LatLong
- DuckDuckHack — new and improved!, DuckDuckGo Blog
- From self-portraits to street art: 1,000 museums at your fingertips, Official Google Blog
- Expert Tips for Creating & Promoting Stellar Content, seocopywriting.com
- Google Email Settings Changed In Search Console, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google: Google News May Ignore Your Sitemap’s Timestamp To Avoid Abuse, Search Engine Roundtable
- Is Google Judging You Based on a Template?, Moz
- SEO Predictions for 2016 – by SEO Industry Leaders, Similarweb Blog
- Should You Change Dates on Evergreen Content for SEO?, thesempost.com
SEM / Paid Search
- Cash In On These Mobile PPC Opportunities, PPC Hero
- Getting Started with Audience Targeting in PPC, thesempost.com
- Why Advertisers Should Stop Focusing on These PPC Metrics, Metric Theory