SearchCap: The Day In Search, February 8, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google Building Instant Translator Companion
Google leaps language barrier with translator phone from The Times Online reports Google is working on a new tool that would bring instant translation to people.
It appears that Google is a couple years away from this coming but they would build on their existing Google Translate and Google Voice features to create an instant translator. [...]
- The iPad As Platform For SEM & Social Media Marketing
Apple clearly recognizes the importance of the mobile web, but did they get trigger happy and launch the iPad too soon? The launch of the new Apple device has lit up the internet with all sorts of criticisms, praises, questions and opinions. A question remains for those of us in the search marketing and social [...]
- Cambodia Calls Google Maps “Misleading” Over Thailand Border Dispute
Cambodia blasts Google map of disputed Thai border from Reuters reports Cambodia is the latest country upset with Google over how they draw the border on Google Maps. Cambodia’s prime minister, Hun Sen, wrote a letter saying Google was “radically misleading,” “professionally irresponsible” and “devoid of truth and reality.”
Cambodia and Thailand have military [...]
- Google Warns Chinese Knockoff To Stop Using Google Logo
Google warns Chinese copycat website: report via the AFP reports Google has sent a warning to the Chinese Google knockoff, Goojje to stop using their logo.
Google said the Goojje logo is infringing on its trademark since the logo could be mistaken as an authorized Google web site. The Goojje logo is still live as [...]
- What Toyota’s Crisis Can Teach Us About Managing PPC Campaigns
It is absolutely stunning that Toyota is embroiled in such a serious quality crisis. Toyota’s well-earned reputation for quality is legendary and is the envy of carmakers worldwide. Their quality control principles and methods are taught in leading business and engineering schools everywhere.
In spite of all that, Toyota’s quality problems are now the subject [...]
- 3 Ways To Optimize Your Bidding Strategies
If you’re managing multiple SEM programs across a broad landscape of web assets, as more and more of us are, it’s important to realize that when it comes to managing keywords and their bids, it’s not one-size-fits-all. In this reality of diverse business goals and revenue models, marketers looking for a singular approach to [...]
- The New Local: Location Based, Social Centric & Behaviorally Targeted
We’re just weeks into 2010, and already a host of major tech, online, and mobile companies have made some exciting announcements about their latest plans for local search.
In mid-January, Google’s Mobile division announced that it is upgrading its search engine on Android-powered devices and the iPhone to present results reflective of the current or last [...]
- Google Airs TV Ad During Super Bowl – But Why?
Perhaps yesterday’s tweet by Google CEO Eric Schmidt put it best. Hell has indeed frozen over. Google has run its first major television ad, during the Super Bowl, no less. Below, the ad, how it has been received, how it compares to other search engine commercials from rivals and some questions about why market leader [...]
- Searching for the Superbowl Start Time: How Are The Engines, the NFL, and CBS Doing?
Last year, I took a look at the spiking searches leading up to the Superbowl to see how the search engines, and those who want to be found in them, satisfied those queries. This morning, I took another look, and while things are a bit better from a searcher satisfaction perspective (primarily due to increased blended results [...]
- A Google Super Bowl Ad? Eric Schmidt Hints At It
Google CEO Eric Schmidt is causing quite a stir with this tweet from about an hour ago that suggests Google will run its first major broadcast television commercial during tomorrow’s Super Bowl.
NOTE: This has now happened. See Hell Freezes Over: Google Airs Ad During Super Bowl.
For those who can’t see the image above for some [...]
- 2002 In Review: Google Powers AOL; AdWords Go Cost-Per-Click
This article is part of a series, a review of the 2000 decade and search developments. Below, major events from the year 2002 in consumer search. For the complete series, see the introduction, The Google Decade: Search In Review, 2000 To 2009.
Google Powers AOL Search
The deal for Google to provide search results for AOL Search [...]
- Super Bowl 2010 Winners: Google, Yahoo & Bing Are Ready
Super Bowl XLIV is two days away, and even though it’s always one of the most-watched TV events of the year, the major search engines are also ready for anyone searching for the latest news and information. All three already have Super Bowl shortcuts/oneboxes in place.
No doubt each search engine will keep those updated all [...]
- Google Recommends The Competition On Your Business “Place” Page
I’m scratching my head over this one: Google has added a new content block on place pages that, quite often, gives free advertising to a local business’s competition. It’s called “Nearby places you might like” and it appears below reviews on the place page; the content block will show up to ten recommended businesses — [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Five Things That Scare Google, BNET
- ‘U’ receives $425,000 Google grant, The Michigan Daily
- Despite successful 2009, Ask.com leaves NASCAR, Sporting News
- Google doppelgänger casts riddle over interwebs, The Register
- Google’s Display-Ad Sales Should Top $1 Billion, BusinessWeek
- REFILE-Disney,Google eye deal with China bus media firm-sources, Reuters
- Wikia Says It’s Profitable, Goes On Hiring Spree, TechCrunch
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Magid: Will Google launch a tablet computer to compete with Apple’s iPad?, SiliconValley.com
- How to Choose the Right Category in Google’s Local Listings, Small Business SEM
- Creating Link Lists for an Improved User Experience, Content Ideas and Links, wiep.net
- Link Building Strategies: Checklist, Search Engine Journal
Paid Search & Contextual
- Google AdSense Publishers Upset Over Recent Earnings, Search Engine Roundtable
- A Search Engine That Relies on Humans, New York Times
- National Library of Medicine Creates Haiti Earthquake People Locator, Also Acts as a Meta-Search Engine of Other Registries, ResourceShelf
- Bing and MSN your Olympics Hub, Bing Search Blog
- Most Say, Google Should Not Censor Non-Adult Search Suggestions, Search Engine Roundtable
- Testing How Crawl Priority Works, SEOmoz
SEO & SEM
- SEO Bullshit: Mimicking a file system in URIs, sebastians-pamphlets.com
- Keyword Research-Factors to consider, Bruceclay.com.au
- 4 Tips For Getting Out Of Your PPC Rut, PPC Hero
- Google SiteLinks: Useful Shortcuts to Useful Content, Promediacorp
- Is Rel Canonical the Answer To Your International Search Woes?, Site Visibility
- Personalization of Google Results Creates a Huge Advertising Opportunity, SEOmoz
- Small Business Search Engine Marketing – Creativity And Agility Are Essential, Online Marketing Blog
- The Elements of an HTML Link, SEOmoz
- The World Does Not Begin and End With SEO, Search Engine Guide
- Faster, Simpler Photo Uploads, Facebook
- Twitter Reactions Shows What the Twitterverse is Saying About That Web Page, Lifehacker
- How to split up the US, PeteSearch
- Social Today Feels Like Search A Decade Ago: Lots Of Noise And Lots Of Spam, TechCrunch
Video, Music & Image Search
- How To Make Money In Online Video, TechCrunch
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Position Yourself As An Expert With Guest Blogging
- 62 steps to the definitive link building campaign
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.