Following today’s explosions at the Boston Marathon, social media channels were immediately swamped with reports, graphic images and videos from the scene. Race officials immediately held runners on course, and canceled the rest of the event.
During tragic events like this, it’s hard to determine what’s official and real information until it is verified by law enforcement. Until then, people are searching for the status of runners while cell networks are overloaded and/or shut down due to on-going security concerns. Family/friends of runners have been able to use checkpoint tracking to see if they’d been stopped prior to reaching the final mile and locations of the explosions.
Here are the official resources we know of so far:
- Official Boston Marathon website: http://www.baa.org
Google quickly added a person finder here: http://google.org/personfinder/2013-boston-explosions
YouTube has created a playlist dedicated to official information about the explosions. It currently includes President Obama’s recent address about what happened, along with videos from both national and Boston-area news outlets.
- @Boston_Police - Verified Account associated with their official website, http://www.bpdnews.com/
- @CherylFiandaca Boston PD Bureau Chief, Public Information
- @BostonMarathon - Official account, but yet still unverified by Twitter. Official instructions for runners, families being shared.
- Live feed of Boston Police & Fire Department / First responder dispatch
- FAA / Boston Logan Airport Updates - information on ground / flight holds due to security issues.
- Boston Mass Transit Authority service updates
On behalf of Third Door Media, our thoughts are with those injured or affected by today’s events.