Sign up for our daily recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: Advanced analytics, fake listings on Google Maps & link building
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- 5 hot trends in advanced analytics
Apr 11, 2017 by Digital Marketing Depot
Marketing data is everywhere. With so many new consumer touchpoints – from chatbots, to in-store beacons and virtual assistants – the sheer variety and volume of data is exploding. Beyond your out-of-the box product dashboards, custom Excel spreadsheets, and basic data visualizations – are you really leveraging your data in meaningful ways?
- Patent 1 of 2: How Google learns to influence and control users
Apr 11, 2017 by Dave Davies
Columnist Dave Davies does a deep dive into a recently granted Google patent that describes how your data and context could be used to influence your future actions.
- Is Google really keeping fake listings off Google Maps?
Apr 11, 2017 by Joy Hawkins
A recent study released by Google claims that fewer than 0.5% of local searches lead to fake listings. But is this number misleading? Columnist and local search expert Joy Hawkins takes a deep dive.
- Link building: Preliminary research and analysis
Apr 11, 2017 by Andrew Dennis
Columnist Andrew Dennis outlines the research necessary to provide a solid foundation for your link-building strategy.
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- National Brands & Local Search: Use Insights to Drive Actions
- Dailymotion to relaunch in June with focus on professionally produced video programming
- What’s really holding back your messaging program?
- Strategies for capturing ‘made in the USA’ searches
- No content strategy is an island
- How to keep your brand message from being hijacked by surrounding content
- Protagonist’s new platform finds the stories told about brands
- Taykey integrates its Trend Advertising product with TradeDesk and AppNexus
- Twitter’s latest ad format turns Periscope hearts into branded ones
Search News From Around The Web:
- Deep-linking startup Branch raised $60 million from Andy Rubin’s Playground Ventures, TechCrunch
- Top 20 in US Paid and Organic Search, Searchmetrics SEO Blog
- Yahoo accused of mismanaging funds meant for Chinese dissidents, Reuters
Local & Maps
- Sneak Peek – The Expert’s Guide to Local SEO, Local University
- Testing Link Sharing Ads against Embedded Rich Media Ads in an Instant Whitepaper Download Campaign, 3Q Digital
- How visual search is helping ecommerce brands, Econsultancy
SEM / Paid Search
- AdWords “Optimize for Conversions” Ad Rotation Could Be Killing Your Conversions, Clix Marketing PPC Blog
- Avoid These Common PPC Shopping Strategy Mistakes, PPC Hero
- Creating a bespoke Bing Multiple Link Disavow Tool, Branded3
- Google Updates Featured Snippet Selector Algorithm Frequently, Search Engine Roundtable
- Page Changes Monitoring: How to Stay Ahead of Google, Search Engine Journal
- Winner of Wix’s SEO Hero challenge explains strategy, The Domains
- Announcing the 2017 Local Search Ranking Factors Survey Results, Moz
- XML Sitemaps: The Most Misunderstood Tool in the SEO’s Toolbox, Moz