Sign up for our daily recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, April 22, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google AdWords With Ratings & Reviews
Matthew Mierzejewski posted a screen capture on the Rimm-Kaufman blog, showing reviews and ratings directly in the AdWords ads. As you can see in the picture below, the ratings and reviews are summarized in the ad description and contain an extra hyperlink to product reviews on Google.
Matthew describes the ad as […]
- Impact Of Leaving China? Google Loses Paid Search Share
Google’s share of the paid search market in China fell a little more than 13% in the first quarter of 2010, marking Google’s first drop in that category since Q2 of 2009.
The stats come from the Beijing-based research company Analysys International and are being reported today by Bloomberg.
Google’s share of China’s paid search […]
- Industry News: SEOmoz Survey, Search & Social Awards Launched
Couple pieces of industry-related news to pass along: One is about an industry-wide survey and the other is about a new industry awards; both have just launched today.
First, SEOmoz has announced the 2010 SEO Industry Survey — an update of the industry survey they first did in 2008. There are questions about the types of […]
- Google Makes One Change Per Day To Search Algorithm
Google’s Matt Cutts just posted a video on YouTube answering the question, “how many search algorithm changes were made in 2009?” In response to that question, Matt said Google likely makes a change per day to the search algorithm. They don’t necessarily release those changes each day, but they will release them in […]
- The Origin Of #nickcleggsfault & Getting To More Relevant Tweets
Yesterday, I moderated a panel on real time search where one of the topics was how to get the balance between showing recent tweets versus the most “relevant” ones right. Today, there came a perfect example to test — the trending topic of #nickcleggsfault.
For those unfamiliar with Nick Clegg, he’s the leader of the Liberal […]
- Go Green Or Go Home: Recycling Content For SEO
Content. Content. Content. SEO’s hammer clients with pleas/prayers/entreaties to produce content. Writing, videos, images, audio, sanskrit, I don’t care; just please, for love of all that’s right and good, produce something.
Clients respond: I don’t have time. I can’t write. I hate writing. Our partners won’t let us publish anything. The branding team will veto us. […]
- Green Billionaires: Larry, Sergey And Google Investor John Doerr
Yes, billionaires do have a lot of “green” but they can also be green and push green causes, technologies and issues. Because it’s Earth Day and because lists and slideshows of rich people drive page views Forbes has put together what it deems the world’s greenest billionaires.
Investor Vinod Khosla is ranked first. Larry Page and […]
- Google Adds Buzz, Localized Suggest To Maps
Google Buzz has been available on Maps for mobile devices, but now Google has made it possible to access Buzz on Maps for the PC. In addition Google is rolling out localized Search Suggest for Maps in more places around the world.
You access the “Buzz layer” on Maps by selecting more, which reveals the various […]
- SMX Advanced Rate Increases April 25 – Only Two Days Left
The Early Bird Rate for Search Marketing Expo – SMX Advanced Seattle expires end of day Saturday, April 24. Register now and save $200 off the onsite registration fee, plus guarantee you’ve got a seat at the conference created for experience search marketers.
Advanced features one-of-a-kind sessions for experienced search engine marketers. Look at the agenda.
- Google’s 2010 Earth Day Logo Impresses
Google posted their Earth Day doodle today and the overall impression from most people I see talking about it (via Twitter, forums and so on) is impressive. Here is a picture of Google’s 2010 Earth Day logo.
Google was not the only one with a special theme or logo for Earth Day. We have […]
- Is Google Testing Related Tags Under Search Snippets?
Amit Agarwal reported seeing “tags” in the Google search results, directly under each search snippet. The tags appear to show related queries based on each snippet listed in the search results. If you click on a specific tag link, it takes you to a new page of search results for that new query. […]
- Google Shuts Down AdWords API v13 Today
After much warning, Google will be sunsetting much of the AdWords API v13 today. Today the following v13 services will go offline:
How will you know exactly when they go offline? When you receive the error code 213 response from Google’s API servers. So if you have not done so already, make sure […]
- The Blueprint Of The Modern Paid Search Account
Last week, we went through a series of frequently asked questions that often come up before launching a PPC campaign. But there are some things you still need to know at this stage in the game that will dramatically increase your understanding of paid search and will certainly give you more direction and confidence […]
- Facebook’s Alternative Internet Vision And Its Search Implications
I attended the F8 Facebook developer event this morning and might have live blogged it but the public WiFi connection was extremely slow. Maybe that’s a good thing; aspects of what were announced had me confused, especially the privacy issues raised by the announcements. I’m not a developer and this event was geared toward them; […]
- Google May Buy Travel Software Provider ITA: Report
Bloomberg News is reporting that Google is in discussions on what could be a $1 billion buyout of ITA Software, a company that provides reservation/information systems used by many well-known travel industry companies.
Bloomberg cites “three people familiar with the matter” in its article, two of whom speculate that ITA could want up to $1 billion […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- 10 Suggestions for Redesigning the Google Profile, blog.louisgray.com
- 10 Issues Google Needs to Remember About Web, eWeek
- Gmail accounts hacked by drug-dealing spammers, CIO
- On Google’s Brand, John Battelle’s Searchblog
- Right Media’s Bill Wise Leaving Yahoo, paidContent.org
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Search by Voice Comes to Google Maps 4.1 for Windows Mobile and Symbian S60 phones, Official Google Mobile Blog
- See what’s in store, Google LatLong
- 3D Google Maps Street Views Quick Key (T or 3), Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Maps Adds Contact Form for Verification Issues, Mike Blumenthal
- Google Maps Adds Kinetic Scrolling, Google Operating System
- Google Places – Google Local will it ever be fixed?, State of Search
- Google Street View logs WiFi networks, Mac addresses, The Register
- Backlink Checker now by Class C, EDU/GOV and more (and still free), majesticseo.com
- Do Directory Links Still Have Value, Michael Gray
Paid Search & Contextual
- Optimizing Your AdWords Campaigns, Search Engine Journal
- Google Trademarks The Word "We" – Well, Kind Of, Search Engine Roundtable
- Ask.com Goes Down on Earth Day, Then Mimics Bing, webranking.com
- U. of Minn. sends books to Google to digitize, kare11.com
SEO & SEM
- Announcing the Google Product Reviews Program, Google Merchant Blog
- Checklist for Changing Your URL Structure, SEO.com
- The Science of Ranking Correlations: How Does PageRank Perform?, SEOmoz
- The White House unleashes AdWords against Wall Street, econsultancy.com
- To slash or not to slash, Official Google Webmaster Central Blog
- 3 Buzz tips: Deliver posts to your inbox, disable comments, and favicons for links, Official Gmail Blog
- Privacy chiefs keep watch over Facebook, Reuters
- Why Social Media is Not Customer Service, outspokenmedia.com
Video, Music & Image Search
- Content ID and Fair Use, YouTube Blog
- Hulu Will Offer $10 Hulu Plus Service, TechCrunch
- YouTube Video Rental Store Now Open, Read/Write Web
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site: