Sign up for our daily recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, July 19, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- How To Raise Your Call-Through Rate Without Reducing Your Click-Through Rate
PPC ads are short—a maximum of 140 characters. Using that precious space to include a phone number usually has detrimental effects on an ad’s effectiveness. Rather than using a call to action that promotes the searcher to take action, a phone number is displayed at a point in the buying cycle when consumers might not […]
- Foursquare In Discussions With “Everyone” To Enhance Search With Its Data
Twitter did it; now Foursquare is reportedly in discussions with Google, Yahoo and Bing to supply (or license) its check-in data as a search-enhancer. According to the UK’s Telegraph:
Our data generates hugely interesting trends which would enrich search,” [Foursquare co-founder and CEO Dennis] Crowley said.
“We can anonymise data and […]
- Google Local Search Experiment Will Give IYPs & SMBs Heartburn
Google is experimenting with new local search results formats, a move that appears to be good for consumers but devastating for the SEO of online business directories as well as for some small-to-medium businesses.
- Of Linkbait And SEO Bank Shots
There’s a subtle, but meaningful, connection between billiards and SEO. How so, you ask? Well, when I was younger I was a pretty good at billiards. I could see all the angles really well, and I understood when to use bank shots (using an indirect shot off the bank of the table rather than […]
- Search Engines + Newspapers: Perfect Market’s Delivery System Aims To Please Both
Last year, there was a seemingly endless parade of stories on how aggregators, search engines and news blogs were apparently killing newspapers that publish original content. This year, add the rise of “content farms” to the list. Riding to the rescue, or so it hopes, comes Perfect Market and its new […]
- Bing Cashback: Don’t Leave Your Piggybank On The Table
As early as Fall 2008, Microsoft set off on a crusade to openly evangelize what would become “Bing Cashback” with strategic agency partners and retail advertisers alike. The consumer rewards program was built to incent online shoppers with the purpose of influencing search behavior to gain repeat visitors and generate loyalty. Microsoft’s goal would ultimately […]
- SEO Has Killed
Hi. My name is Tom and I have a problem. Actually I have a lot of problems, but none are more pressing or more relevant to you than how SEO has affected my perception of the internet. More specifically, SEO has ruined how I use the internet so I hope that sharing my story will […]
- Register for SMX East Today! Super Early Bird Rates Expire Soon
Join us for Search Marketing Expo – SMX East and immerse yourself in three days of exceptional tactical content and invaluable networking opportunities with like-minded peers. Don’t miss the event 100% devoted to the search marketing community, October 4-6 in New York City.
Register for SMX East now and you’ll get at the lowest rate possible. […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- A zoom tool and more in drawings, Official Google Docs Blog
- Bring Back The Old Google News Design, Search Engine Roundtable
Local, Maps & Mobile
- MapQuest Dropping Local Blog Support, Hyperlocal Blogger
- Baidu Mulling Mobile OS, InformationWeek
- Four out of five cell phones to integrate GPS by end of 2011, says iSuppli, digitimes.com
- 4 Huge Mistakes to Avoid When You Build Links, Search Engine Journal
- Guilt by Association: Do You Really Know Who You Are Linking To, Parts 1-12, Search Engine Guide
- How to Get 10,000% More Backlinks in Google, Without Doing Anything, Search Engine Journal
Paid Search & Contextual
- Google Restores Hacked & Robbed AdSense Account, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google search for Vatican directed to ‘paedophile site’, AFP
- Yahoo! Answers: Streamlining Search, Yahoo Search Blog
- Analytics: Marketing Metrics for your Business BlueGlass LA, BruceClay.com
- Blueglass LA Session: How to not FAIL at getting search traffic, Search Engine Journal
- Blueglass LA Session: Marketing Metrics for your Business, Search Engine Journal
- SEO: How to not FAIL at getting search traffic – BlueGlass LA, BruceClay.com
SEO & SEM
- MicroHoo Adcenter About to Drop Big Changes for Affiliates, ppcblog.com
- 16 Content Network Guides & Tips, seoroi.com
- 5 PPC Management Blunders That Will Burn Your Cash, SEO.com
- AdWords Content Network ROI Tip: URL List Feature, AdWords Help Experts
- Head URLs and Tail URLs and Bing’s Supplemental Index?, SEO By The Sea
- How do I avoid the duplicate content penalty?, Search Engine Guide
- Keyword Symbols/Accents in Google Adwords, Vertical Leap Blog
- Mastering Your Content Message: What’s the Buzz?, SEO Copywriting
- On-site SEO: How to Optimize Your Blog Posts, Hyperlocal Blogger
- SEO Spammers vs the White Hat Army!, Search Engine Journal
- SEO, the SERPs, and Your First Impression, Search Engine Watch
- The challenge of identifying target keywords, econsultancy.com
- What is the benefit of using the change of address tool in Google Webmaster Tools?, YouTube
- Exclusive: Facebook Will Announce 500 Million Users Next Week With “Facebook Stories”, AllThingsD
- Facebook Redesigns Event Pages, mashable.com
- How to win at Facebook in three weeks, Econsultancy
- Social Media Inception, Search Engine Journal
- Study: Social Media Marketing Reduces Reputation Crisis Costs by 33%, Marketing Pilgrim
Video, Music & Image Search
- Google Video Drops "Download" Button, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google-Funded Pixazza Raises $12 Million For Crowdsourced ‘AdSense For Images’, TechCrunch
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Brands and the World Cup: who were the real winners and losers? – Spain has emerged as world champions and the excitement is over for another four years. 32 teams battled it out in South Africa for World Cup glory, but the game wasn’t just being played on the pitch; brands went head-to-head in a fiercely contested online marketing battle.
- Are We Over-Engineering the Link Graph? – Great breakdown by Nicola Stott. Yes, anchor text is important, but we are also over emphasizing the importance.
- Want More Link Juice? Here’s an Easy Way to Get It – Great post focusing on the internal link juice that is so often overlooked. A process is provided and examples of great pages to obtain internal links are mentioned.
- Facebook and SEO – should you care? – I had been getting a bit leary of all the hype around 'FaceBook Search – the Google killer' and decided to take a closer look at what's going on there. While there are some interesting bits with the OpenGraph stuff (I am a meta data geek tho) I don't really think it is something to worry about – what do YOU make of it all?