Sign up for our daily recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, December 6, 2013
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google Busts Yet Another Link Network: Anglo Rank
Google’s head of search spam, Matt Cutts, just confirmed on Twitter that Google has targeted another “private link network” – this one is named Anglo Rank. Matt’s tweet was pretty direct, he wrote: There are absolutely NO footprints linking the websites together” Oh, Anglo Rank. That is a quote directly from Anglo Rank’s marketing material. […]
- Google Officially Testing Images In Web Search Results Snippets
Google has confirmed they are running a user interface in the search results to show images within the web search snippets. Reader, Samuel Edwards from Tenthwave Digital sent us a screen shot of this unusual Google search results test. A Google spokesperson confirmed this is indeed one of Google’s many tests. Here is a picture […]
- Bing Brings Enhanced Mapping To Windows 8.1
Yesterday Microsoft announced “Bing Maps Preview” for Windows 8.1 (including tablets). The new mapping app offers a range of enhanced features and capabilities. It seeks to bring highly realistic, 3-D imagery together with a more intuitive UI. Google Earth and what used to be called Microsoft Virtual Earth have always been a bit slow and […]
- Search In Pics: Google LEGO Menorahs, Penguins On Google Maps, Penn & Teller Through Google Glass
In this week’s Search In Pictures, here are the latest images culled from the web, showing what people eat at the search engine companies, how they play, who they meet, where they speak, what toys they have, and more. Jewglers Google LEGO Menorahs: Source: Google+ Google Street View Of Penguin Biking: Source: Google+ Google Partners […]
- 3 Must-Dos For Landing Page Testing
Great landing pages do not happen overnight or as a lucky happenstance. They are developed through many rounds of testing — some successful, some not. My experience with conversion improvement efforts and landing-page testing has taught me three critical lessons that apply, regardless of the type of company or conversion: Don’t settle for the first […]
- Google Expands In-Depth Articles
Google had updated the in-depth articles feature they launched back in August 2013. The new additions, as they announced on Google+, adds more ways to see more in-depth articles within the search results. Google added a link under the main block of in-depth articles to “More in-depth articles.” Clicking on that link will show an […]
- Google Toolbar PageRank Lives On With The First Update In Over 10 Months
Google has updated the Toolbar PageRank values this morning, despite Google’s Matt Cutts implying the update would not happen again within 2013. The SEO community, discussion forums and social media outlets are lighting up with the news that Google has actually updated the Toolbar PageRank values. Why? (1) The SEO industry always lights up when […]
- Yandex To Stop Counting Links As A Ranking Factor For Commercial Queries In Moscow
Leading Russian search engine Yandex is to cease attributing any ranking factor value to links for commercial queries in its Moscow regional results, it announced yesterday to an audience in Moscow thus opening the door to a world after links. Alexander Sadovsky, who is the Head of Web Search at Yandex, announced the change at […]
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Facebook: We Define News Feed Quality At Source Level, Not By Content Type
- Will New Foursquare App, Push Notifications, Boost Engagement?
- Not Who, But What, Is Driving Google?
- Facebook For Business Globalizes, Now Available In 11 Languages
- Mobile Messaging: Essential Advice For A Successful Mobile Marketing Platform
- Google Glass’ 3rd Tour Stop Is Austin, TX, Next Weekend
- From Facebook: Organic Page Reach Is Dwindling, Best Way To Be Seen Is To Buy Ads
Search News From Around The Web:
- How to Survive the Google AdWords Advanced Search Exam, www.wordstream.com
- Why I Quit My Own Company, justinbriggs.org
- 37 Experts Share Their Most Actionable Link Building Tip, digitalphilippines.net
- A Study of .gov and .edu Referring Domain Ratios in the Majestic Million, Majestic SEO Blog
Local & Maps
SEM / Paid Search
- Should I Advertise On Bing?, koozai.com
- Understanding Impact with Earned Actions in AdWords for video, Inside AdWords
- How to search in-depth articles with the new Google filter, All Google Testing
- 6 Uncommon SEO Techniques Explained – SEO, marketingchris.com
- SEO: Leveraging Bing’s Pinterest Integration, Practical E-Commerce
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.