Everything you need to know about SEO, delivered every Thursday.
George Bush “Miserable Failure” Google Bomb Back, This Time In Knowledge Graph
The Google Bomb is back! Searching for [miserable failure] in Google now returns George W. Bush’s knowledge graph in the search results.
The Google Bomb first became popular back in 2004 when Google and some other search engines ranked George W. Bush as the number one result for a search on [miserable failure]. In 2007, Google killed the Google bomb from showing up.
But why did it rank in the first place? Google ranks pages based on anchor text of links, among other factors, and many sites bombed Google by linking to George Bush’s webpage with the anchor text [miserable failure]. In 2007, Google decided to prevent Google Bombs from happening.
Now, with the launch of the knowledge graph, George Bush’s related knowledge graph snippet on the right shows up.
I wonder if Google will come up with a method of preventing this from happening or if they will find it relevant for the query.
This was spotted first by Bill Slawski.
For more on Google bombs, see below:
- Google Kills Bush’s Miserable Failure Search & Other Google Bombs
- Bush: Fix Your “Miserable Failure” Googlebomb Legacy Before Obama Takes Office
- George W. Bush: A Failure Once Again, According To Google
- Happy First Birthday, Google Bomb Fix!
- Obama Is “Failure” At Google & “Miserable Failure” At Yahoo
- Bush – Tops For “Who Is A Failure” On Google