Sign up for weekly recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, August 4, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- The SEO Rap Sheet: What Does Your Mug Shot Look Like?
While attending the SMX Advanced conference in Seattle this year, I was very eager to sit in on the SEO Mega Session to see a panel of industry vets. True to form, this session was chock-full of useful insights, lots of ribbing, and more than a little eye rolling between the panel members. At some […]
- Google Now Lets Businesses Respond To Reviews On Places
In case there was any question about whether Google is serious about its relationship with business owners, the company is now letting businesses that have claimed their Places listings respond to reviews:
Starting today, if you’re a verified Google Places business owner, you can publicly respond to reviews written by Google Maps users on the […]
- How To Hire The Perfect B2B Search Marketing Manager
Since I’ve been a columnist here at Search Engine Land, I’ve written about a wide range of B2B search marketing topics, including Flickr, Landing Pages, Trade Shows, Content, High Costs of PPC, Leveraging Organic Keywords, Universal Search, and other B2B topics.
As this column came around, I was having difficulty coming up with a compelling topic. […]
- Flickr Redesigns Photo Page
Flickr has redesigned the photo page, the primary page used on Flickr.com by users.
The changes include:
Photos are 28% larger now
Navigating from photos and to photos is faster now
A new lightbox feature to enlarge photos
Preview up five photos at a time
Changed location of photo’s title, description, when a photo was taken, it’s location, […]
- Google To Allow Trademarks To Be Used In AdWords Copy In Canada, the UK and Ireland
Google announced starting on September 14th, UK, Canadian and Ireland advertisers can use trademarked keywords in their ad text.
This is a policy that was adopted in the U.S. on May 14, 2009 and is now being adopted in the UK, Canadian and Ireland.
In addition, advertisers on September 14th can now select trademarks as […]
- AdWords Campaign Experiments (ACE) Now Available To U.S. Advertisers
Google announced that they are rolling out the AdWords Campaign Experiments (ACE) tool to all U.S. advertisers. ACE was in beta about two months ago and enables advertisers to perform faster, more accurate tests by executing your experimental campaign alongside your original campaign.
Google said ACE helps advertisers by making it :
it easier to test […]
- Don’t Neglect Your Home Page When It Comes To Conversion Rate Optimization
The end of the conversion funnel rightly garners a lot of attention. By getting to that stage of the process, your visitors have shown that they have a great deal of intent to convert, so work done at this stage can have significant impact. However I thought that I’d talk a little about how people […]
- Tim Mayer, Who Worked For Practically Every Search Engine, Leaves Yahoo
Earlier I wrote about the depature of Yahoo’s Srinija Srinivasan. Yahoo’s lost another person, and another big figure in search, that of Tim Mayer.
Tim just tweeted, as shown above, that he’s enjoying his first “post-Yahoo” day. Tweeted using the Twitter account I personally set up for him ages ago, I might add!
Who Didn’t He Work […]
- Once The Most Powerful Person In Search, Srinija Srinivasan Leaves Yahoo
Back in the mid-to-late 1990s, the most powerful person in search was arguably Yahoo’s Srinija Srinivasan. If Yahoo’s was the “gateway” to the web in the way some think Google is today, Srinivasan was the chief gatekeeper. And now after 15 years, she’s leaving Yahoo.
Srinivasan was Yahoo’s “Ontological Yahoo,” among other titles including being a […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Drag and drop attachments to save them to your desktop, Official Gmail Blog
- Google fixes flaw in Audio CAPTCHA, Computerworld
- The new Hotmail is now available to everyone!, windowsteamblog.com
- AOL Reports Q2 Earnings, Business Wire
- Baidu’s Li Sees Growth Overseas, Wall Street Journal
- Google Buys Slide for $182 Million, Getting More Serious about Social Games, TechCrunch
- Google Gets Complete Win in Rosetta Stone Case, Eric Goldman
- Google Research Director Peter Norvig on Being Wrong, slate.com
- Microsoft objects to Google-Yahoo Japan deal: report, Reuters
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Critics Decry ‘Secret Deal’ as AT&T, Google Huddle With FCC, BusinessWeek
- Shop With Ease With Your Bing For Mobile IPhone App, Bing Community
- Skyhook Will Take the Location Battle to Court, gigaom.com
- 15 Tips for Responding to Google Place Page Reviews, buzzmaven.com
- Google: "Probably Possible" 3rd Party Bad Links Can Hurt You, Search Engine Roundtable
- New Strategies for Getting Links from Newspapers, Search Engine Watch
- The First Link Counts Rule and the Hash Sign – Does it Change PR Sculpting?, SEOmoz
Paid Search & Contextual
- Facebook Advertisers Boost Spending 10-Fold, Sandberg Says, BusinessWeek
- Google AdWords Fixes Search Volume API Bug, Search Engine Roundtable
- Search Agencies Gain Momentum in Display Ad Market, ClickZ
- Introducing the new Search History link on Google, Official Google Mobile Blog
- IM Charity Party at SES is Back!, Search Engine Journal
SEO & SEM
- 2 New Cool Keyword Research Tools Which Are Based on Google, Search Engine Journal
- Creating a Small Niche Affiliate Site – Part 1, Sugarrae
- Do tag clouds help or hinder SEO?, YouTube
- Do You Know The Way to Good IA, Cre8PC
- How to Win With Your SEM Agency, Search Engine Journal
- The Three Step Process to Effective Multilingual Keywords, Search Engine Journal
- Back to Basics: Keyword/Landing Page Combinations, Google Analytics Blog
- Can a spammy website affect the ranking of other sites hosted on the same server?, YouTube
- Facebook SEO: Optimizing for an Audience of 500 Million, Online Marketing Blog
- Google Citing MayDay Update For Poor Google Rankings, Search Engine Roundtable
- Making the Leap: The Paid Search Marketing Toolbox, Search Engine Watch
- What Makes a Good SEO Proposal?, Search Engine Journal
- Why Search Engine Marketing Companies Cannot Help Every Business, KoMarketing Associates
- Yes, Yahoo Slurp Is Still Active, Search Engine Roundtable
- How To: Use Social Media to Get a Job, Search Engine Journal
- Nice twitter, IdentityBlog
- Control Your Information: Anywhere, Anytime, Facebook
- LinkedIn Acquires mSpoke For Its Recommendation Technology, Team, TechCrunch
- News Sites on the New Digg: Who is Active, Who is Gaining Followers?, Adam Sherk
Video, Music & Image Search
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Why Localization Is Essential To Website Conversion – Localization often takes a back seat in the marketing world. Many companies are too ethnocentric to even consider non-English speaking markets to be worth pursuing but, in this economy, who can afford to be arrogant enough to turn away any potential customers?
- 3 Tips for Effective 'Link Luv' – In this article, I’d like to share with you 3 tips that I’ve found to be extremely effective in getting ‘link luv’ (backlinks) to my site with only a small time investment.
- The Ultimate Social Bookmarking Content Creation Guide (Part 1: Digg) – A 5 part series that discusses the different types of content creation specific to go viral on social bookmarking sites.
- Phase Two Link Building Strategies – Unlike phase one link building strategies, phase two requires just a little more effort on your part, but will be rewarded with higher rankings in the SERPs. Phase one helps you build a pretty solid foundation to your supplemental link building that you will do in phase two.
- What to do Once You Make Front Page – Many people get tunnel vision when running an SEO campaign. The ears are pinned back and the focus on reaching the coveted front page of Google for a desired keyword is all that is often thought about. But what happens when you are lucky enough to land that prime real estate on the first page of Google?
- 44 Local Link Building Queries for Citation Prospecting and Opportunity Analysis – One of the best resources for local link building that I have seen. Several amazing link building (and citation building) opportunities spelled out for ya. Dig in and get your hands dirty ….