SearchCap: The Day In Search, March 16, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Bing Hits All-Time High Market Share: Nielsen
The latest search market share numbers from Nielsen are out, and it’s more good news for the folks in Redmond. Nielsen says Bing’s market share in February was 12.5%, an all-time high that continues Bing’s overall growth since it launched last year. That figure represents a 15% increase from its January market share.
It’s also [...]
- Statistical Significance: Not Just For Geeks Anymore
The concept of “statistical significance” is probably one of the most misunderstood phrases in search marketing. People sometimes ask me to assess whether the difference between two clickthrough rates is “statistically significant” or not with the same look on their face as if they are asking if a particular rash looks infected.
“The clickthrough rate (CTR) [...]
- 5 Reasons To Make Sure You’re Deep Linking
Whether you’re building links for yourself or a client, at some point you need to make sure that you’re procuring inbound links to not only your homepage, but also your critical subpages. Chances are, that if you have a nicely fleshed out site that has been built (and updated) with sound SEO principles in mind, [...]
- Twitter To Launch Ad Platform On April 13th?
Peter Kafka from AllThingsD is guessing that Twitter will be launching an ad platform on or about April 13th.
Some suspected Twitter would announce an ad platform yesterday during Ev Williams Keynote at SXSW but he did not. So why on April 13th?
(1) Twitter’s developer conference, Chirp, is the day after.
- Google: Mobile Query Growth “Dramatically Higher” Than PC
During an investor and financial analyst webcast yesterday Google’s Vic Gundotra said that an “increasingly large” number of advertisers were doing mobile campaigns and that there was a “dramatic amount of interest” in mobile among those not yet advertising in mobile. Much of the webcast was devoted to demonstrating Google mobile products and initiatives and [...]
- Why Is Ask Really Hiding Their Ads Referrer Data
I reported at the Search Engine Roundtable that Ask Sponsored Listings has changed how they handle sending referrer data to webmasters. From now on, they are basically not sharing the page of origin with the webmaster.
Why? Ask said they have moved to a new system named PureLeads. What is Pureleads? The FAQ [...]
- How To Find The Right People To Follow On Twitter
While many of us in the marketing world tend to focus on how many followers we have and how to get more, for many Twitter users the other side of that coin is a real challenge: How do I find good people to follow on Twitter?
Twitter itself has underscored the challenge as far back [...]
- Elevating The Global Importance Of Content
Shortly after my last Multinational Search post (Global Vs. Local: How To Let Google Know How To Treat Your Site) I was taken to task by a few readers complaining that supposed global experts only talk about domains and hosting for international sites and not enough about content. Ok, fair criticism, that article [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
- China Issues Warning to Google’s Partners, New York Times
- Google runs into a problem with Nexus One trademark application, Nexus One News
- Alibaba.com Q4 net up 49 pct, cautious on investing, Reuters
- China warns Google to obey rules even if it pulls out, Reuters
- Google misses China licence deadline, The Guardian
- Twitter CEO Says "No" to Acquisition in Next Two Years, mashable.com
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Asking for Reviews – UMoveFree Finds the Groove, Mike Blumenthal
- Is Spontaneity Overrated?, thenoisychannel.com
- Responding to Negative Reviews – Your Prospects are the Real Audience, Mike Blumenthal
- Yelp Reviews No Longer Appear in Google Maps, EZlocal Blog
Paid Search & Contextual
- Opening up YouTube to new display advertisers, YouTube Biz Blog
- Google Book Search’s Irrelevant Suggestions, Google Operating System
- Liveblogging, Speaking Schedule for SESNY 2010, outspokenmedia.com
- SES NY 2010 Live Blogging Schedule, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- Hacker News Just Banned Google And Every Other Search Engine, thenextweb.com
- 3 Skills You Need To Be An SEO, Search Engine Journal
- A New SEO Perspective, Distilled blog
- An In Depth Guide to Creating Small Websites That Rank Well, SEOish
- Bad SEO Advice for Real Estate Agents … from the NAR, Small Business SEM
- Can we serve Googlebot a different page with no ads?, YouTube
- Real-time Search Optimization for News Sites, Adam Sherk
- SEO 101 – Part 11: Everything You Need to Know About SEO Copywriting, Search Engine Guide
- Sitemaps Series: Using a Sitemap Index, Search Marketing Sage
- Top 5 Client Misconceptions – Bull They Were Fed by “SEO Experts”, The SEO Scoop
- Facebook Kicks Off Implementation Of QR Codes, TechCrunch
Video, Music & Image Search
- Same Picture Different Size, Bing Search Blog
- Google Hungary Shows Italy’s Colors On Hungary’s National Day, Search Engine Roundtable
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- SEO Trademark Registration Terminated – Rhea's Post
- Affiliate Marketing: Choosing The Best Model For You [infographic]
- Taking stock of the SEO mindset
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.