SearchCap: The Day In Search, January 19, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web. From Search Engine Land: 10 Tips For Working On A Collaborative Link Campaign If you’ve never worked for a client who also has other people doing the same thing you do, just wait…you will. For […]
From Search Engine Land:
- 10 Tips For Working On A Collaborative Link Campaign
If you’ve never worked for a client who also has other people doing the same thing you do, just wait…you will. For particularly large or especially competitive link campaigns, it has become more commonplace for a company to try various options, sometimes all at once.
While covering several angles is definitely a smart marketing move, it also […]
- Twitter Is Pointless – Just Like Phones Are
As with many people, I started 2010 with many good intentions, one of which was to ensure that my first post of the new year wasn’t about Twitter, and was full of practical tips on how to make the best use of social media to build your brand.
Unfortunately, as with so many resolutions, mine hasn’t […]
- Less Than Two Weeks Until SMX West Rate Increases – Register Today & Save
Register now for Search Marketing Expo – SMX West and save up to $350. You have until the end of the day Saturday, January 30th to take advantage of our early bird rate.
As the search industry changes, so does the SMX agenda. Learn tactics to make the most of developments such universal search, real-time […]
- Google New York Expanding
The New York Observer reports Google is expanding their already humongous New York office by 57,000 square feet.
Google leased two floors of the old Port Authority building on 76 Ninth Avenue, between 15th and 16th street, spanning from 8th to 9th avenue, back in 2006. The building spans a complete avenue and […]
- Microsoft Complies With EU Demand, First To Cut Data Retention To Six Months
Microsoft is the first of the major search engines to agree to the European Union’s demand that data retention be cut to six months. The company will now completely delete IP addresses after six months. Here’s what Microsoft said on the Bing community blog about the move:
Today we sent a letter to the Article 29 […]
- 2010 Is The Year Global Search Marketing Finally Arrives
I typically don’t jump on the annual prediction bandwagon since too many cycles are spent defending some of the crazy things I come up with. However, I will go out on a limb and predict that 2010 will be the year of global search marketing.
I have been advocating the use of the internet to […]
- Study Looks At Personalization’s Impact On Search Results
A group of SEOs is testing the impact that personalized search has on a search results page. David Harry, posting today on his blog, has shared some of the preliminary findings while also admitting that the testing is in its early stages and there are “no definitive answers” to be found yet. That said, it […]
- Google Gets 75% Of Paid Search Clicks & Dollars: Report
Three of every four paid search clicks happen on Google, and 75 cents of every paid search dollar is spent on Google. That’s according to the latest quarterly report from Efficient Frontier, a search advertising agency that manages more than $750 million in annual digital spending annually. The stats cover Q4 of 2009, and show […]
- More Haiti Disaster Relief Resources
Google, Yahoo and Bing, among many others, are offering cash donations and resources to assist with disaster relief in Haiti. Here’s our earlier coverage of online resources. You can also find images of post Earthquake Haiti from Bing Maps and Google.
Google has a full-blown disaster relief center with a wide range of updates, free Google […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- iGoogle Porn: Still An Issue?, Search Engine Roundtable
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Bing Maps Imagery Release, January 2010 (Part 1), Bing Maps Blog
- Garmin GPS units get bird’s eye imagery, Electronista
- Google postpones mobile phone launch in China, Yahoo! News
- You’ve Been Yelped, Inc
Paid Search & Contextual
- AdWords: Known Issues Page now Includes Commonly Mistaken Technical Questions, AdWords Help Experts
- How To Hide From Google, Forbes
SEO & SEM
- Advanced ORM: Influence Google Search Suggest & Sublistings, Search Engine Journal
- Does Your Small Business Think Local?, Search Engine Guide
- How To Create Your Own In-House SEO Job, Search Engine Journal
- Keyword Targeting: How to Employ Multiple Keywords for SEO & Conversions, SEOmoz
- Mass Title Tag Changes: Google Slow Updating?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Q & A About Using Q & A Sites to Build Your Business & Reputation, SEOmoz
- SEO 101: Everything You Need to Know About SEO (But Were Afraid to Ask) – Part 1, Search Engine Guide
- Sometimes Google Does Know Best: Use It To Your Advantage, Search Engine Roundtable
New on Search Engine Land