Sign up for our daily recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, September 20, 2013
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the Web.
From Search Engine Land:
- When It Comes To Google, Microsoft’s Ballmer Is Still Fighting Old Battles With Old Tactics
I’ve watched Microsoft fight Google in search for a very long time. Bing has come a long way, and I’ve been pleased to see a strong competitor emerge. But Microsoft hasn’t actually hurt Google’s share. It’s only robbed from its partner, Yahoo. So how’s Microsoft going to beat Google? Comments from departing CEO Steve Ballmer […]
- Trust In Search Ads Rises, Along With All Other Ads Except Newspaper [Nielsen]
A new Nielsen study on consumer trust in advertising shows trust in search ads has risen since 2007. Nearly half (48 percent) of consumer respondents now say they trust search ads, that’s up 14 percent since 2007. This is certainly good news for search advertisers. In more good news, with the exception of ads in […]
- New Bing Ads Location Extension Features Roll Out To All US Advertisers
The added features Bing Ads introduced to Location Extensions in June are now available to all advertisers in the US. If you’re running mobile or local paid search campaigns, you’ll want to be sure your location extension data is comprehensive to take advantage of these features. Here’s a look at the latest location extensions in […]
- 4 Ways To Avoid An SEO Disaster Of Monumental Proportions
I made a mistake. It was a classic SEO blunder. Don’t judge me — it was one that you (and almost every other SEO) has probably made as well. What did I do? I allowed a client to sign a contract without fully vetting them first. I didn’t ask the right questions, and I wasn’t […]
- Local Businesses, Ensure Your AdWords Accounts Are On Target
Paid Advertising Platforms are growing exponentially on what seems like a weekly basis. What once was Keywords + Ad + Bid = Money has now become a full-time job. Bid adjustments, rules, remarketing, extensions, day-parting, local or geographic targeting, modified broad match, and more — the vocabulary alone is a struggle for small business owners […]
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Klout Launches New Profile Pages That Are Kinda Pinterest-y
- Nielsen’s Twitter TV Ratings Service To Launch September 30
- Nielsen: Search Ads Gain Trust, But Traditional Ads Still Outrank Digital In Consumer Trust
- Facebook Connects Impressions To Offline Sales For Telcos
- Are Your Local PPC Ads Really “Local”?
- UnBufflievable: Social Sharing & Analytics Tool Buffer Reaches One Million Users
- Pinterest Begins Testing Promoted Pins Ad Product
Search News From Around The Web:
Local & Maps
- Upgraded Google Places for Business Dashboard Listings Now Allow Managers to be Added, Mike Blumenthal
- Where Should a New Business Create a Listing: Google+ Page or Google Places for Business Dashboard?, localu.org
SEM / Paid Search
- Bing Ads Is Like A Second Language, www.beyondthepaid.com
- Bringing some Irish Wonder to your SEO security audits, the latest DistilledLive video, Distilled
- C3NY: SEO Not Dead, Just Evolving, ClickZ
- Does Pinterest Help with SEO?, Practical E-Commerce
- SEO for Highly Regulated Industries, www.seerinteractive.com
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.