SearchCap: The Day In Search, June 7, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Bing Goes The iPhone
Steve Jobs, still on stage at WWDC 2010, the Apple developer event, just announced that Bing will now be a search choice for the iPhone — as it should be.
Google remains the “default” option on Safari. But Bing now becomes the third search option after Google and Yahoo (soon to be Bing too):
Photo credit: gdgt
- Google Webmaster Tools Adds Soft 404 Pages
Google announced they added “soft” or “crypto” 404s to their “crawl errors” report in Google Webmaster Tools.
Soft 404s or crypto 404s are page not found pages that return the server response code of 200. Technically, 404 pages should return a server status code 404, which means page not found. Sometimes webmasters [...]
- Bing Maps Enables Developers To Submit Apps
Microsoft announced today that app developers can now download the Bing Map App SDK and start building applications to submit to the Bing Map App Gallery.
Developers can download the maps SDK at connect.microsoft.com/bingmapapps. Then once you start developing your apps, you can test the app in the new maps developer sandbox.
Make sure [...]
- With Deeper Facebook Integration, Is This Yahoo’s ‘Tom Jones Moment’?
First the news, which has already been widely reported: Yahoo is more deeply integrating Facebook on its homepage and across many of its properties. It has also changed the name of “Yahoo Profiles” to “Yahoo Pulse” (currently not working) and made the property more of a social media dashboard that manages sharing with third party [...]
- Spelling Corrections Now In Google Suggest
Google announced this weekend that spelling corrections are now available in Google Suggest. Google is now showing “Did you mean?” suggestions/corrections for certain misspelling situations.
Google said if “you’re typing a query for which there are no search completions to offer, and yet some of your search terms do seem to be misspelled, Google Suggest [...]
- The Search Marketers Guide To Facebook Ads
With more than 400 million active users on Facebook, advertisers are salivating at the opportunity to reach targeted and engaged audiences through Facebook ads. But paid advertising on Facebook is still in its infancy. Few organizations have figured out how to effectively leverage Facebook ads, and in many cases resources and budgets have [...]
- The Yahoo To Bing Migration: Details & Advice
The migration starts in September. Here are some tips on how to prepare for the transition.
- How Google’s Time Dimension Will Disrupt Your SEO
I no more than finished weaving some nostalgic “back to the future” references into my last SEL article (how social media content like UGC can accelerate your SEO into the future) and Google decides to unveil their new search results UI, featuring among other improvements new filters that give searchers a whole new dimension on [...]
- Mobile Apps: Search By Another Name
Responding to Apple CEO Steve Jobs’ declaration that on mobile devices “search hasn’t happened,” we’ve now written several times about how mobile apps of various sorts are essentially search by another name. Just to refresh your memory, here’s Jobs making that statement in April of this year:
The specific app he references (in case you missed [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- It’s Not Just Apple: Google Hates Flash Too, Business Insider
- Goaaaal! Share Your Passion For Your Team From Yahoo! Mail, Yahoo! Mail
- Signed Out Settings on My Yahoo!, My Yahoo! Blog
- Yahoo Wants HuffPo Badly, TechCrunch
- Australia launches privacy investigation of Google, msnbc.com
- Google vs Bing vs Yahoo, San Francisco Chronicle
- How Google and Yahoo Could Benefit From Betterfly, Seeking Alpha
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Yelp Goes Head-to-Head with Foursquare, Adds Badges & Royal Hierarchy, Read/Write Web
- Google Maps: Updated Google places Management UI (LBC), Mike Blumenthal
- iPhone vs. Android, Nielsen Wire
- Google and Smash, Bang, Boom, Exploring Local
- Publishers see signs the iPad can restore ad money, USATODAY.com
- 4Square & SMBs: First Survey Data at SMX, ScreenWerk
- A Google Maps Based Forum for Locations, Google Maps Mania
- Bing Map Apps SDK Release, Site Enhancements And New Platform APIs, Bing Blog
- Canadian Directory Links: What’re they worth, eh?, Canadian SEO
Paid Search & Contextual
- Upcoming webinar – AdWords Conversion Products, AdWords Agency Blog
- Yahoo Publishers Receive Their Final Payments, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Hologram Logo For Dennis Gabor’s 110th Birthday, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Threatens To Shutter BitTorrent Tracker Fail-Safe, TorrentFreak
- Live Now: Yahoo! World Cup Schedule Shortcuts, Yahoo Search Blog
- Video Recap of Weekly Search Buzz :: June 4, 2010, Search Engine Roundtable
- Government to Classify Search Marketers: Uncle Sam Needs Your Help, onwardsearch.com
- People Seriously Want a D-Day Google from Google?, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- Maintaining URL Claim Status for the Google Merchant Center, Google Merchant Blog
- Maximizing Conversions By Offering Multiple Conversion Options, SEOmoz
- Will using Google Analytics have a negative effect on my ranking?, YouTube
- Mom finds her kidnapped kids via Facebook, CNET News
- With Foursquare, life is a virtual game, CNN.com
Video, Music & Image Search
- And Now For Facebook’s Next Trick: Video, TechCrunch
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.