SearchCap: End Of Yahoo Directory, Managing Negative SEO & Google’s Panda 4.1 Update
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web. From Search Engine Land: The Yahoo Directory — Once The Internet’s Most Important Search Engine — Is To Close For some, it may seem like there has always been Google, and it’s always been the […]
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- The Yahoo Directory — Once The Internet’s Most Important Search Engine — Is To Close
For some, it may seem like there has always been Google, and it’s always been the main way people have found things on the web. But before Google, there was the Yahoo Directory and its hand-compiled list of websites, organized into topics. Now, the venerable Yahoo Directory is closing. Yahoo shared the news today, a […]
- Dangerous Weapon Ads On Google: A Look At New Policy Center Enforcement A Week In
Throwing axes, military knives, paintball guns, gun scopes. These items have are among the banned products listed in Google AdWord’s Policy Center, a list that in the past has had spotty enforcement at best. Last month, I looked at examples of supposedly banned dangerous products showing up in ads. Below is a look at how […]
- How To Keep Your Product Advertising Game Sharp
Contributor Matt Ackley from Marin provides data and insights on the latest product advertising trends and best practices.
- Should You Really Spend Your Time (And Resources) On Negative SEO?
Every site is bound to have some shady links. But should you disavow? You might be throwing the baby out with the bath water.
- Bing Ads Makes Close Variants On Exact Match Permanent In U.S.
That test didn’t last long. A month ago, Bing Ads announced that it would test close variants on exact match in the U.S. As of yesterday, the switch has been flipped and close variants on exact match keywords are here to stay. Close variants include search queries that are close but not exact matches to […]
- Holiday Search Planning For Local Businesses In 5 Easy Steps
How can local businesses prepare their digital marketing campaigns for the holidays? Contributor Rachel Lindteigen lays out her formula for success.
- Panda 4.1 — Google’s 27th Panda Update — Is Rolling Out
Google has announced that the latest version of its Panda Update — a filter designed to penalize “thin” or poor content from ranking well — has been released. Google said in a post on Google+ that a “slow rollout” began earlier this week and will continue into next week, before being complete. Google said that […]
- Google AdWords Ad Customizers Rolling Out: Dynamic Insertion On Steroids
To those arguing that Google has been steadily dumbing-down AdWords and taking controls away, the company is responding with what it’s calling Tools for the Power User. The first tool to come out of the box are ad customizers, designed to help advertisers optimize ad creatives at scale. Ad customizers are a set of parameters […]
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Facebook’s Buy Button Test Is Powered By Stripe’s Technology
- Russia Moves To Censor Google, Facebook, Twitter
- Google Rolling Out New Panda Update Designed To Penalize Websites With Low Quality Content
- EU Seeking Numerous Google Privacy Disclosures, Policy Changes
- How Audiences Have Changed Paid Search Auction Dynamics
- Beyond Newsletters: 5 Tips To Help You Completely Re-Think Email Marketing
- Lufthansa Spreads Campaign Across Social Media With ‘Selfie Ad Unit’
- Say Hello To Ello: A New Social Network That Really Hates Advertising
- Twitter Will Target Movie Fans With Ads
Search News From Around The Web:
- Activist Shareholders Go After Yahoo, Tell Marissa Mayer To Buy AOL, www.businessinsider.com
- Progress Report: Continued Product Focus, yahoo.tumblr.com
- How to Identify Low Quality Links, www.practicalecommerce.com
- The Dos and Don’ts of Building Links, www.leapfroggr.com
Local & Maps
- 7 Essential Intelligence Events for Your Google Analytics Account, blog.kissmetrics.com
- CamFind app brings accurate visual search to Google Glass, VentureBeat
- New Interface for Google Takeout, googlesystem.blogspot.com
- Yahoo transparency report: Data requests drop, but FISA stats are worrying, venturebeat.com
SEM / Paid Search
- 3 Reasons Why You Need An Expert to Set up Your Google Analytics, www.tatvic.com
- Avoid A GDN Disaster With One Simple Optimization, www.ppchero.com
- Help Your PPC Ads Take Flight During This Winter Travel Season, advertise.bingads.microsoft.com
- Hey Ask.com: Yes, That’s Google Arbitrage, www.beyondthepaid.com
- Trouble Determining PPC Budget Numbers? This Will Help, smallbiztrends.com
- 10 Steps to Hire the Right Outsourcing for Your SEO Campaign, 3qdigital.com
- Are You Confused by Google Semantics, keepupwiththeweb.com
- Google: Broken Links Are Not An SEO Problem, Rather Usability Problem, Search Engine Roundtable
- In-Depth Articles Significantly Increased in Google Search Results, www.thesempost.com
- Large Popups on Websites Could Trigger Page Layout Algorithm Penalty, www.thesempost.com
- Some SEO Considerations for Building a Website, www.techindiasoftware.com
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.