SearchCap: The Day In Search, December 5, 2013
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- The Test Begins: Do Google Shopping & Other Shopping Search Engines Give You The Best Deals?
It sounds pretty damning. Two recent surveys suggest that Google Shopping isn’t leading searchers to the best prices on products. But the surveys weren’t well documented, nor did they include competitors like Bing, Shopzilla, PriceGrabber and Nextag, which have similar issues. So, Search Engine Land will be running its own fully documented tests. Every few […]
- See The Top 10 Most Searched Ad Campaigns On Bing For 2013
Following up on the release of the Bing’s 2013 search trends, which culled the top search queries across a range of categories, the Bing Ads team has pulled together the list of the most searched ad campaigns from 2013 as well as the most popular brand searches on Bing this year. Humor drove search volume, […]
- Google Search App Now Answers Your Questions In French, German Or Japanese
Google announced an international upgrade to the Google Search App, which enables the voice response answers that work currently in English to also work in French, German or Japanese. So not only can you ask your question in English, French, German or Japanese or other languages via voice search — Google will respond to that […]
- Don’t Miss Out On Learning From The Pros – Attend An SMX West Workshop!
Sharpen your marketing skill set by attending one of six in-depth workshops offered on March 10. Choose from SEO, Advanced AdWords Training, International Search Marketing, Social Content Distribution for SEO, In-House SEO, or Content Marketing. Save with SMX West Super Early Bird rates before they expire December 21 – Register now!
- WhitePages Report Highlights Sad Side Of Season With Spike In Dating & Pet Searches During Holidays
Using search data from 2012, today’s WhitePages report shows just how depressing the holiday season can be. According to the site, last year witnessed a 265 percent increase in searches for dating services, and more than double the average number of searches for pet stores during the days between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Eve. “The […]
- Google Ad Rank Study: How The New Formula Is Impacting AdWords Performance
In October, Google changed its Ad Rank formula which determines the position order of AdWords paid search ads. The revised formula now factors in the expected impact of ad extensions and ad formats, in addition to the bid and quality score. The Search Agency has released its latest findings on the impact of this significant […]
- Bing Revamps Android App To Match iPhone Features
Microsoft’s Bing and Google are pursuing very similar strategies with their mobile apps. Google’s search app for iOS is essentially a browser and gateway to other Google apps and services. The same is true for Bing on iOS and Android. Earlier this week Bing refreshed its Android app to make its UI and design consistent […]
- How Online Retailers Can Leverage Unique Identifiers & Structured Data
Ever since the Hummingbird update, there has been a ton of Internet buzz about entity search. What is entity search? How does it work? And what exactly is an “entity”? However, the topic of entity search as it relates to e-commerce and Google Shopping has been neglected. Everything you have learned to date about entity […]
- 2014 SEO Playbook: On-Page Factors
Welcome to part 2 of my annual SEO playbook. (Click here for part 1.) I have to thank Danny Sullivan and the Search Engine Land team for giving me the perfect outline for the 2014 playbook, the Periodic Table of SEO Success Factors. Part 2 will cover on-page factors, including content, HTML and architecture. You’ll […]
- 10 Things RTB Rookies Can Learn From SEM Vets
If I were to describe to you a digital media channel in which marketers bid on ad inventory in an auction-based model, would you think of paid search? Of course! But this also describes the relatively new online display category of real-time bidding (RTB) in which banner impressions are sold in a similar fashion. eMarketer […]
- US Mobile Search Revs To Hit Nearly $4 Billion This Year
A new report from Forrester Research projects US mobile paid search will be worth $3.8 billion by the end of 2013. Analyst forecasts are often aggressive, but this turns out to be a very reasonable estimate. US mobile ad revenues were slightly below $3 billion according to the IAB for the first six months of […]
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Smartphone Share: Apple, Google, Microsoft All Gain
- Google Automatically Creates New Orkut Accounts For Any Logged-in Google User That Visits Orkut.com
- Twitter Launches Ad Retargeting: “Tailored Audiences” Bring Retargeting To Mobile
- FTC: Native Ads “May Be Illegal” In Some Cases
- 3 Ways Marketers Can #Win With Twitter’s New Tailored Audiences
- Listen Up Email Marketers: With 38% More Email Opens, Black Friday “Officially” Your Biggest Day Of The Year
- Cyber Monday On FBX: YoY Conversion Rates Up 34 Percent, CTR Nearly Doubles
- 10 Things RTB Buyers Can Learn From SEM Veterans
- 4 Data-Fueled Insights On How People Are Using Gmail’s Tabbed Inbox This Holiday Season
- Will Measurement Shortfalls Hinder The Growth Of Multi-Screen Marketing?
- Pinners Purchase Aplenty This Cyber Monday: Pinterest Revenue Triples
Search News From Around The Web:
Local & Maps
- Google Reviews – New Quirks, Mike Blumenthal
- Found: Yelp Reviews Copied and Published as Google Reviews, Search Influence
- 12 Simple Ways to Build Links Through Events, KoMarketing Associates
- Removing Backlinks That Lead To Negative SEO: Interview With Jacob Bohall, Search Engine Journal
- Bing tests show favicons in search results, All Google Testing
- A Candid Q&A With SEO Expert Greg Boser, Didit
- How To Avoid A SEO Moderation Glitch, internetmarketingninjas.com
- How to Start an SEO Audit, Luna Metrics
- Links are Dead! According to Yandex, which will launch a new algorithm in 2014, notprovided.eu
SEM / Paid Search
- A Tale Of A Canceled Adwords Account, Archology
- Google Changes SERP – Images Now King & PPC Holds Keys to Kingdom, Search Engine Journal
- Google Shows New Yellow Ad Label Format On Google+, Search Engine Roundtable
- Mastering PPC: When To Break Ad Copy Best Practices, SEER Interactive
- December 2013 Google Webmaster Report: Rankings, Webmaster Tools, Knowledge & More, Search Engine Roundtable
- We Partnered with Builtwith to Study Big Website Tech and Google Rankings, Moz
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.