Sign up for weekly recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, October 29, 2009
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- So What Are We To Make Of The “Ying” Search Delay?
I got two calls yesterday from people asking what I made of the Yahoo-Microsoft failure to meet their self-imposed search-deal deadline (October 27). I said it was probably just a case of needing more time to work through some of the details rather than a warning sign that the entire deal was in jeopardy.
There’s much […]
- Man Cannot Live By PPC Alone. Can He?
Much has been written lately about the value of combining text ads with display/image advertising online in order to boost visibility and brand awareness. This trend is not necessarily a new one: Yahoo/comScore issued a study in 2006 showing an increase in “online and offline purchasing by consumers who are exposed to integrated campaigns” that […]
- The Science Of Scoring Your SEO
SEO is an art. (Hence, the name of my and my co-authors’ brand new book, The Art of SEO). Crafting copy that sells, as well as ranks, is an art. So is link baiting. But SEO is also a science. Crafting rewrite rules, robots.txt directives, and so forth is pretty geeky stuff. The science […]
- Study: Google, The “Most Attractive Employer”
Universum released a report that shows Google is the “most attractive employer” globally. Google was ranked number one in both the top 50 global businesses and engineering companies. Microsoft was also up there on that list, ranked as number three for business and 2 for engineering.
The study asked about 120,000 students […]
- Live Blogging From The Google Discover Music Launch Event
The expected Google Music Search is real, and our Google Music Search 2.0 Launches With Musical “OneBox” story provides the play-by-play of how it works. Be sure to read that! From me, the color commentary out of today’s launch event at Capitol Records in Hollywood. I’ll be live blogging the news.
We’re expecting some musical stars, […]
- Google Music Search 2.0 Launches With Musical “OneBox”
Saying that it wants to bring music fans “closer to your favorite artists,” Google has added a new Music Search OneBox to its search results. The new OneBox includes content from partner sites such as MySpace, Pandora, Lala and others, and lets searchers listen to song clips right from Google’s search results page. Searchers should […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Taking charge of your document sharing, Official Google Docs Blog
- Google’s Eric Schmidt On Magical Potential Of Mobile Cloud, TechCrunch
- Google co-founder Sergey Brin wants more computers in schools, Los Angeles Times
- Google Kirkland Is Hiring, and Other Highlights from the Company’s Northwest Birthplace, Xconomy
- Google tells FCC it’s still blocking calls, but fewer of them, Washington Post
- Google’s ‘Gov Cloud’ Wins $7.2 Million Los Angeles Contract, InformationWeek
- AOL Set To Spin-Off In Mid-December (TWX), Business Insider
- Google and Orange partner up in Europe, Search Cowboys
- Yahoo’s real estate plans show large ambitions, MarketWatch
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Got Multiple Listings in Google’s Local Business Center? Don’t Delete Any, Search Engine Roundtable
- MapQuest Introduces our New Map Styles and More!, MapQuest Blog
Paid Search & Contextual
- AdSense Rejections Over "Difficult Site Navigation", Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- 5 Tips To Save Money & Generate Additional Revenue with Ad Scheduling, PPC Hero
- 6 Frightening Tales from the Paid Search Crypt, webranking.com
- Blocking Google Sitelinks Can Take Two Weeks Or More, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Social Search: Are You in Your Target Audiences’ Social Circles?, AdamSherk.com
- The ‘Vince’ update unravelled – does Google recognise brand equity? (pt 2), econsultancy.com
- Third-Party Affiliate Programs: Roll Your Own Instead, SEOmoz
- Video SEO Tips – Getting Started, Online Marketing Blog
- Facebook Platform: A Roadmap for the Future, Facebook Developers
- Is the LinkedIn Platform Dead?, gigaom.com
- StumbleUpon Gets a Facelift: Nips, Tucks, and a Streamlined UI, Read/Write Web
- Introducing the new version of orkut: fun new features, faster browsing, the same great friends, Orkut Blog
- New Ways to Find and Engage with Your Favorite Applications, Facebook
- Twitter Revisited – in More than 140 Characters, Hitwise
Video, Music & Image Search
- Play That Funky Music with Yahoo! Search, Yahoo Search Blog
- New Feature Spotlight: Engagement Goals, Goal Sets and 20 Goals Per Profile, Google Analytics Blog
- SEO Analytics Measurement, beu blog
- Bing Goes the Students at Keith Valley Middle School, Bing Search Blog