Sign up for our daily recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: Google PageRank dead, Google Travel expands, Bing period table & more
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- RIP Google PageRank score: A retrospective on how it ruined the web
Mar 9, 2016 by Danny Sullivan
While Google will remove PageRank scores from public view in the coming weeks, the way those scores dramatically reshaped the web will remain.
- Google begins massive migrations of their blogs from blogspot.com to googleblog.com
Mar 9, 2016 by Barry Schwartz
Google begins their own site migration project for their official Google blogs. Will they listen to their own site migration advice?
- Bing search for “periodic table” returns interactive periodic table directly in results
Mar 8, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
With Bing’s latest educational resource, students have access to details for each of the elements right from the search result page.
- Bing auto-tagging comes to Shopping Campaigns, Image Extensions
Mar 8, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
Ad group tracking is also now enabled via the utm_content tag.
- Calculating the value of organic traffic
Mar 9, 2016 by Clay Cazier
Need another way to express the value of SEO? Columnist Clay Cazier details a way to assign value that a PPC-minded manager will appreciate.
- Brand Bidding & PPC Optimization: Partner Relationships (Part 4 of 8)
Mar 9, 2016 by Lori Weiman
In this installment of her multi-part series on brand bidding, columnist Lori Weiman discusses how to use strategic partnerships to increase paid search performance.
- Destinations on Google delivers new travel planning experience for mobile users
Mar 9, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
A mobile search for a continent, country or state, along with the word “destination” or “vacation,” will return a series of travel options.
- Reverse-engineering AdWords Quality Score factors
Mar 9, 2016 by Brad Geddes
Google recently launched a new version of the AdWords API that allows users to download Quality Score information at scale, so contributor Brad Geddes used this information to break down the weight of each factor impacting Quality Score.
- Clara Rockmore Google doodle doubles as a theremin to celebrate musician’s 105th birthday
Mar 9, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
With three music lessons to start, today’s Google doodle offers users a musical instrument to practice in between searches.
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Social monitor BlabPredicts morphs into a data targeting firm for trends and keywords
- What “human-in-the-loop computing” means for marketers
- How MeUndies gets people to buy products through its Snapchat account
- Report: For every $1 online influenced by reviews, offline impact at least $4
- 5 reasons people-based marketing will turn fed-up consumers into brand-loyal fans
- Beyond audience data: The critical need for better business intelligence in digital media
- What does VR-based marketing offer that other tech does not?
- 17 leading social media management software vendors compared
- MarTech Today: Amplitude’s Compass, deep dive into beacons & most marketers buy programmatically
Search News From Around The Web:
- New search experience improvements, duck.co
- Get front row seats to the ICC World T20 2016 with the Google app, search.googleblog.com
- Search Challenge (3/9/16): Do you know the way to… ?, SearchReSearch
- Train your own image classifier with Inception in TensorFlow, Official Google Research Blog
- WordPress & AMP: part II, Yoast
- 16 SEO Experiments And Their (Surprising) Results, seosherpa.com
- 6 Tips for Adjusting Your SEO Strategy in 2016, SEMrush Blog
- Google App Install Interstitial Penalty May Expand To Sneaky & Deceptive Alternatives, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Provides Help On Resolving AMP Errors In Search Console, Search Engine Roundtable
- RankBrain SEO: Has RankBrain Improved Google Search?, Stone Temple
- SEO at Microsoft, light and shadows, sistrix.com
- SEO Friendly React.js App Architecture for Multimedia Content, Builtvisible