SearchCap: The Day In Search, February 22, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web. From Search Engine Land: What Would You Ask Steve Ballmer About Bing, Microsoft & Search? Next week, on March 2, I’ll be interviewing Steve Ballmer on stage at our SMX West search marketing conference. This […]
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- What Would You Ask Steve Ballmer About Bing, Microsoft & Search?
Next week, on March 2, I’ll be interviewing Steve Ballmer on stage at our SMX West search marketing conference. This will be Ballmer’s first-ever appearance as a search event. I’m working of my own list of search-specific question to put to him, but I’m also looking for ideas from others. Got a good question you’d […]
- Not Done Yet: Four Ways To Squeeze Performance Out Of ‘Mature’ Paid Search Accounts
Even if you’ve tuned and optimized a search advertising account for good performance, there are tactics you can use to drive incremental gains. In this point, I’ll suggest several ways to improve the performance of “mature” PPC accounts.
- SMX West Next Week in Silicon Valley – Register Today!
There’s still time, but not much. Register now for Search Marketing Expo – SMX West and you’ll save $200 off on site rate!
SMX West happens March 2-4 at the Santa Clara Convention Center. Here’s what’s in store:
Exceptional Content: More than 50 sessions for search marketers of every skill level will be presented. Sessions will cover […]
- Google Adds MySpace To Real-Time Results & Images Site Command Updates
Google confirmed two different discussions taking place in the webmaster and SEO community over the past few days.
The first is that MySpace results are now included in Google’s Real Time search results feature. In addition, Google launched real-time search in Russian and Japanese.
The second is that Google has updated their site […]
- Waiting Game Begins On Google Book Search Settlement
The dust has settled from last week’s Fairness Hearing on the proposed Google Book Search, and now all parties are playing a waiting game. Judge Denny Chin began the hearing by announcing — to no one’s surprise — that he wouldn’t be announcing a decision during or immediately after the hearing. According to the Wall […]
- Worthy Alternatives To The Useless SEO Data Provided By Search Engines
The data classically used in search engine optimization (SEO) to benchmark sites and track performance is all but useless today. Ranking reports, still a necessary evil in SEO reporting, have been unreliable (at best) for at least 3 years. Their validity has been further marginalized over the last 24 months by way of Google’s increased […]
- Local Search APIs For Fun & Profit
I am not afraid to admit I am an opportunist. We all rooted for Julia Roberts when she persevered for years to win the big case in Erin Brokovich, but let’s face it, do any of us really want to work that hard? Me, I would have taken the settlement right after I […]
- The Future Of The Internet: Search Looks Bright
The Pew Internet & American Life Project recently undertook a massive task (for the fourth time): predicting the future of the internet. They surveyed hundreds of technology experts, who not unsurprisingly, had varied opinions about what the future might hold. Of course, it’s highly unlikely that any of these perspectives is the exact future of […]
- The Microhoo Bunch
The recently approved Microsoft-Yahoo search deal, set to a song of my youth…
Here’s the story, of a lovely lady Her name is Carol Bartz, and she runs Yahoo It’s a search engine, and a portal And it’s getting hard to run the two Here’s the story, of a man named Ballmer Who was bringing up a search engine of his […]
Search News From Around The Web:
- Google Book Search Settlement: Updating the Numbers, Part 1, Electronic Frontier Foundation
- Google Closes On2 Technologies Acquisition, Google
- Google Countersues Haircutter Company That Brought On AdWords Lawsuit, TechCrunch
- Beware: Fake Google Job Resume Status Emails Contain Viruses, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google AdWords Contract Upheld Again, Causing a Venue Transfer in Flowbee v. Google, Eric Goldman
- Polyvore Snags Former Google Executive as C.E.O., New York Times
Local, Maps & Mobile
- A simple way for local businesses to enhance their listing, Google LatLong
- Olympics on Yahoo! Mobile Search, Y! Mobile Blog
- Google Earth now available for Android, Google LatLong
Paid Search & Contextual
- 60 days left to migrate to v200909, AdWords API Blog
SEO & SEM
- Google Search Results Manipulated?, investors.com
- Bing Masking MSNBot As Internet Explorer or a Rogue Bot?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Why Do Google Webmaster Tools Messages Disappear?, Search Engine Roundtable
- 7 Ways To Beat The Challenges Of SEO For Ecommerce, Search Engine Journal
- AdWords Keyword Tool – A Negative?, AdWords Help Experts
- Why The Client Discovery Phase Is Most Important for PPC Marketers, SEM Geek
- Wow, Did Jason Calacanis Make Matt Cutts Look Like an Idiot?, SEO Book
Video, Music & Image Search
- YouTube Expands Video Rental Program, newteevee.com
- Google Ranks "Piss Christ" #1 For Christ Image Search, Search Engine Roundtable
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site: