SearchCap: Google RankBrain, search engine manipulation & authorship
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
Barry Schwartz on June 23, 2016 at 4:00 pm
From Search Engine Land:
- FAQ: All about the new Google RankBrain algorithm
Jun 23, 2016 by Danny Sullivan
Google’s using a machine-learning technology called RankBrain to help deliver its search results. Here’s an update of what we know about it so far.
- Google uses RankBrain for every search, impacts rankings of “lots” of them
Jun 23, 2016 by Danny Sullivan
Last year, RankBrain was used for less than 15% of queries. Now Google’s confidence has increased enough that it’s used all the time.
- Fishing for B2B success: How to use AdWords to “land a big one”
Jun 23, 2016 by Jacob Baadsgaard
Like fishing, refining your AdWords campaign takes time and patience. Columnist Jacob Baadsgaard outlines his process for catching big leads in B2B.
- Why retailers shouldn’t overreact to the voice search revolution
Jun 23, 2016 by Andy Taylor
Columnist Andy Taylor of Merkle|RKG shares data and provides insight into how voice search is impacting retailers.
- Key takeaways from the Google AMA: RankBrain, Panda, Penguin, bots & more
Jun 23, 2016 by Barry Schwartz
From Panda to Penguin, authorship to HTTPS, search console and mobile index, here are my key points from the SMX Advanced talk with Google.
- Google has stopped using authorship completely, even for in-depth articles
Jun 22, 2016 by Barry Schwartz
Authorship is now officially and completely dead. Gary Illyes from Google said authorship is not used at all at Google anymore.
- #SMX Advanced keynote: Google’s Gary Illyes talks RankBrain, Penguin update & more
Jun 22, 2016 by Matt McGee
Day one of SMX Advanced concludes with the traditional Google keynote conversation covering the biggest issues in SEO.
- No, SEO isn’t “search engine manipulation” that Google will ban you for
Jun 22, 2016 by Danny Sullivan
In a legal statement, Google introduces the term “search engine manipulation” — but think of it as a synonym for spam, not SEO.
- Influencing with ad copy: how to truly drive action
Jun 23, 2016 by Purna Virji
Is your ad copy ineffective? Columnist Purna Virji discusses how you can tap into your customers’ decision-making brains to drive clicks and conversions.
Recent Headlines From MarTech, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- The Election: More searchers, more opportunities
- Ad tech evolution continues with Avid Media’s new DSP for native content only
- Where Instagram and Facebook advertising converge and where they differ
- Back to basics: Why you need to stop stressing over backlinks
- A CMO’s View: How College Ave uses personalization to connect with customers
- Customer experience in the age of disloyalty
- How to reduce the risk of getting email blacklisted
- Keen IO releases “analytics-as-a-service” for apps, sites, and devices
- MarTech Today: PebblePost’s updated platform, AdSense Labs & Conductor’s new web crawler
- YouTube opens online version of its Brand Partner Program to school agencies
- InMobi to pay nearly $1 million following FTC charges of location tracking deception
Search News From Around The Web:
- How SEO Ranking Factors Are Changing – Latest Research at #SMX, BruceClay.com
- Key Changes to the Google SERP: What You Need to Know Mid-2016, BruceClay.com
- Using APIs to Automate Marketing Tasks – #SMX Liveblog, BruceClay.com
- Marin Software and Bing Announce 2016 SMX Biggest Search Geek Winners, marketwired.com
Local & Maps
- What does it take to process 3D imagery?, Google Earth Blog
- Diving for Pearls: A Guide to Long-Tail Keywords – Next Level, Moz
- Do’s and don’ts in SEO copywriting, Yoast
- Examples of user behaviour influencing Google’s rankings, sistrix.com
- Google Panda Still Rolls Out Over Months After Refreshing Scores, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Says There Is No RankBrain Score & You Don’t Optimize For It, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Still Working On Mobile Only Index, Search Engine Roundtable
SEM / Paid Search
- Google’s Gary Illyes: Pay Attention To AMP & Assistants & Bots, Search Engine Roundtable
New on Search Engine Land