SearchCap: Google Search Console, Apple Maps & Panda & Penguin Speed
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google Maps Lists The White House & Howard University For Racists Terms
Where previous Google Maps hacks were arguably playful, this is ugly.
- Google: We Are Trying To Update The Data For Panda & Penguin Faster
It has been several months since we had either a Google Penguin or Panda refresh, Google says they are working on updating it faster – but they said that before.
- Google Maps Adds Traffic Alerts, Upgrades Android Wear Experience
Mapping upgrades offer welcome improvements, new traffic and routing options.
- The Bing Search Experience: A Practice In Italian Renaissance Art & User Perspective
A conversation with Emma Williams, Bing’s lead designer and Executive General Manager.
- Mobilegeddon A Month Later: Small Business Study Shows…. Nothing Happened
Contributor Conrad Saam shares the results of a small-scale study looking at the impact of Google’s mobile friendly update on local law firms.
- Google Webmaster Tools Rebrands To Google Search Console
Google aims to get more on users Google Webmaster Tools by renaming it to Google Search Console.
- Apple Renews Maps Agreement With TomTom, Will It Buy The Company?
Reuters reported this afternoon that publicly traded TomTom is up on news that its mapping-data contract with Apple has been renewed. Rival HERE (Nokia) is currently for sale and may fetch as much as $4 billion dollars. There aren’t many global mapping data vendors available; and there’s a great deal of interest if not competitive […]
- Google Shuts Down OrderAhead Local Restaurant Listings Hijackings
Seattle based GeekWire has written several articles about OrderAhead‘s fake restaurant listings SEO strategy, which has been turned back by Google. The company used dubious or unethical tactics to gain SEO advantage, creating fake restaurant sites and claiming Google+ pages to outrank and deceive both search engines and consumers. On one level this is just the […]
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Twitter’s Objective-Based Ads Are Now Available To All Advertisers
- The Mobilegeddon That Wasn’t. What Happened?
- We Surveyed 1200 People To Learn How To Increase Email Effectiveness
- Yelp Upgraded Business Owner App Brings Mobile-First Account Management
- Survey Suggests Apple Doesn’t Even Know What Apple Watch Owners Use It For
- 14 Examples Of The New Tweets Showing Up In Google Search
Search News From Around The Web:
Local & Maps
- 300 linking domains? Nah, I’ll take 30 thanks, www.branded3.com
- 30+ SEO tools to make your life easier, econsultancy.com
- Google Continuing to Work on Separate Mobile Search Index, The SEM Post
- Google Plans to Update Mobile Friendly Test Tool, The SEM Post
- Google: We Are Working On Making Penguin & Panda Run Faster, Again, Search Engine Roundtable
- Has Google Gone Too Far with the Bias Toward Its Own Content?, Moz
- The Ultimate International SEO Opportunity Analysis with SEMrush, SEMrush Blog
SEM / Paid Search
- Google AdWords With Matching Sitelinks & Descriptions, The SEM Post
- Is Google Testing Less Ads?, dotcult.com