SearchCap: The Day In Search, March 24, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web. From Search Engine Land: Google Maps Finally Welcome To Home-Based & Service-Based Businesses Google Maps is rolling out what it hopes will be a solution to one of the Local Business Center’s longtime shortcomings: the […]
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google Maps Finally Welcome To Home-Based & Service-Based Businesses
Google Maps is rolling out what it hopes will be a solution to one of the Local Business Center’s longtime shortcomings: the inability for service-based and/or home-based local businesses to use the LBC. Before today, all local businesses using the Local Business Center had to display a business address for their physical location — not […]
- Google Gains Try Button For Discussion Results
A reader sent me a new Google search results feature, which is only activated once you visit a web page from Google and then click the back button to go back to Google’s search results.
Follow these steps:
(1) Search for [smiley html code]
(2) Click on the first result, which is forum.yola.com
(3) Click the back button in […]
- Using Paid Search as a Leading Indicator in a Re-branding Campaign – SMN Webcast Next Tuesday
On March 30 at 1 PM EDT, Search Marketing Now presents “Paid Search and Big Brand Marketing,” a free webcast that looks at how one large brand – Intel – used search at the center of its global re-branding campaign.
Intel, the world’s largest maker of semiconductors, launched a global campaign to re-position the consumer’s […]
- 3 Tips To Boost B2B Paid Search ROI Via Intra-Brand Collaboration
While sibling rivalry can push kids to grow and achieve, the constant squabbling and jockeying for position can adversely affect the family as a whole. Similarly, B2B organizations with competing internal brands suffer from the same type of dynamic, especially when it comes to paid search.
Clearly, a B2B enterprise with competing internal […]
- Google Bookmarks Lists
Google Operating System reports that Google has updated Google Bookmarks to allow you to create lists and share those bookmark lists with others. The bookmarks feature is not new, Google enabled you to store bookmarks and search them. The sharing feature is also not new, Google did once give you a way to […]
- How To Boost Search Engine Rankings Using Twitter
As Twitter results become increasingly commonplace on search engine result pages, there’s no time like the present for in-house marketers to help spice up unpaid search efforts with some Twitter action. As brand names are quickly claimed, the marketer who hesitates may be lost.
There are lots of wonderful branding and customer communication benefits to Twitter […]
- Google’s Lobbying Spend Up 1,500% Since 2005
Among the major search engines, Microsoft is still the biggest spender when it comes to lobbying politicians, but none are spending lobbying dollars faster than Google. According to the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics, Google’s spend on lobbying has gone from $260,000 in 2005 to more than $4 million in 2009, an increase of more […]
- Agile Marketing For Conversion Optimization
Why do some companies thrive at conversion optimization, while others languish?
I’d argue that the biggest factor is not technology, testing tactics or creative brilliance. It’s the agility of your marketing team. The more agile you are, the better your conversion optimization will be. So if you really want to boost your online marketing performance—in a […]
- Bing Offers Free T-Shirts … For Your Xbox Avatar
Let’s give Microsoft’s marketing folks some credit for thinking inside the box. Literally. They’ve taken their Bing promotional efforts inside Microsoft’s own Xbox gaming platform with free codes that let Xbox Live users outfit their avatars in Bing t-shirts.
That’s what you’ll see when you search Bing with the magic search phrase. As Bing said on […]
- So Now Google Thinks Everyone Should Care About Chinese Censorship?
Apparently, Google’s Sergey Brin now believes that the US government should make fighting Chinese censorship a high priority, is disappointed with Microsoft for continuing to censor and is surprised that some question Google’s sudden U-turn in China. I’d say Google needs to get a little time under its belt being outside of China and setting […]
- SES Day One Coverage
The SES New York show just completed their first day of conference sessions. Below is a listing of all the conference blogging I have found throughout the day.
10 Things To Supercharge Your SEM Campaigns in 2010 from SES Y 2010, Search Engine Roundtable
Achieving Success with Improved Ads Quality from SES NY 2010, Search Engine […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Google Voice Updates With Near-Instant SMS Notification on Android, lifehacker.com
- Detecting suspicious account activity, Official Gmail Blog
- An Interview with David Drummond of Google, The Atlantic
- At AOL, the Google culture clash is going to be a big hurdle, econsultancy.com
- China blocking some Google search results, news.zdnet.com
- Google corporate site sends users to China: ‘not a hack but a bug’, The Guardian
- Life at Google, Tim Bray
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Ain’t No Mountain High Enough…, Google Geo Developers Blog
Paid Search & Contextual
- Display advertising: towards creativity without limits, Official Google Blog
- Should Doctors Google Their Patients?, Wall Street Journal
- Deadblogging Lessons From SphinnCon, seoroi.com
- Google Israel Logo For Israeli Educational Television, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- Verify and Claim Your Website URL in Merchant Center, Google Merchant Blog
- Can I prevent Google from including dates in my snippets?, YouTube
- Defining Your PPC Strategy, PPC Hero
- How to Smartly Interlink Your Blog Content with SEO Smart Links, Search Engine Journal
- Poll: How Do You Check Pages Indexed By Google?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Delicious and Yahoo! Messenger, delicious blog
- How to Get Ignored on Twitter, www.twitip.com
- Twitter Starts Rolling Out Contributors Feature, Salesforce Activated, TechCrunch
- How to Get an Influencer’s Attention, Techipedia
- 10 Fundamental Web Analytics Truths: Embrace ‘Em, Avinash Kaushik
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- SEO for AJAX
- Best Practices: Building Scalable Information Architecture
- 10 Ways All Employees Can Contribute to Link Building
- The Most Important Blog Post You’ll Probably Never Read
- 4 Link Building Tips You Should Integrate Into Your SMM
- Learning Local SEO and Local Search Optimization
- Say Hello To Sphinn v. 2.1
- Microformats, rich snippets & clickthrough rates
- 5 Ways to Make Back Links More Powerful